cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help Me To ID This Green Glass Stone On Gold Ring

Hi there, I have this ring that's in need of an ID. Set on a 14K modernist band? Glass stone is green in color however I can't seem to find it's proper name. Any additional information will be Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks as Always....

037 (2).JPG046 (2).JPG053 (2).JPG034 (2).JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Please Help Me To ID This Green Glass Stone On Gold Ring

With it being a 14 K setting,  are you sure it’s a glass stone?    It looks like it could be the gemstone prasiolite to me.  💚

Mermaid 🐳

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It also looks like it could be yellow chrysoberyl.  💛

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

i guess my lack of knowledge just assumed it to be a glass stone. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I mean it’s possible it could be glass,  but usually the better quality the setting,  the better quality the stone.   Glass stones are usually used in plated or lower quality settings.  Yours is 14 K ,  correct?   With that being said there are always exceptions.  

It’s hard to be positive just from a photo.  Do you have a jeweler you trust?  They would most likely have a presidium gem tester to test it.

If not,   some people here on the boards could test it for you also.  I have had a few stones tested by members here on the boards.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I would hate to think I had yellow glass when I really had Sphene or some other nice stone. Get it checked. 

Tell us what you find out.

Diane

PS, I’m in no way suggesting it is sphene...just an example of why you should test stones in nice settings.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I agree with mermaid and Diane.  I'm pretty sure it's a semiprecious stone.  Semiprecious stones like the quartz family (citrine, amethyst, topaz) are pretty colors but have almost no value.  They're basically rocks mined from the earth, cut and polished.  Since the 80's most have been enhanced to look prettier.  If you look up gemstone lots on ebay you'll see they have very little value above glass.  Of course there are exceptions such as if the stone is naturally color saturated and not treated or like Diane said, it's a more rare gemstone like sphene or other rare stones.  Although the color on my monitor looks more yellow, I'm going to go with what you and mermaid said about it being pale green and possibly prasiolite, which is basically a green form of amethyst.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 7 of 7
latest reply