cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Eisenberg Original Mexico Silver brooch stone identification

Estate find and I need help with stone identification. Operculum, Green Onyx, Green Calcite??  Dating this 1930’s, do you agree? Vintage jewelry isn’t my specialty. Thanks all, Sue93C4CD97-4D69-41B6-B9AC-C80710D2E1FD.jpeg0B7B8B1F-14E2-4DCA-99EE-38AD6F5D25E4.jpegA41FA080-489B-476A-9479-0DC1D02555D6.jpeg119EFABE-1A3D-41CF-B44E-BE1B0E4405EE.jpeg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Old Eisenberg Original Mexico Silver brooch stone identification

Can't help on the stones. However, according to the Illusions Jewelry site that signature and the sterling jewerly was made between 43 and early 48.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Very cool brooch!  I want to say Operculum, although the "eyes" are not very well defined.  Since it is an organic material, it could have been exposed to certain environmental conditions.  Also, there are a couple different color variations  for Operculum depending on the snail.   I love Operculum jewelry, but I love anything unusual Smiley Happy.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

very cool piece!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Neat brooch.  If I were buying this piece, I would have a problem with this signature.  The reason I say that is that the etching on the signature is over the patina on the brooch.  If this signature was etched at the time that the brooch was made, the patina should be over the signature, like it is on the Mexico on this brooch.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I think I see some crazing on a few of the cabs.  Unfortunately, that hurts the value of the piece.  Still a very interesting find!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Something bothered me about the mark but I couldn't define what it was. A light switched on when I read your astute observation, Sandy. I don't think it's ever occurred to me to notice, but I will henceforth because it makes sense. That's very keen sleuthing from where I sit. Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I did rub the signature with my finger to I could read it better with my loop. I do know it has been buried in a box for over 30 or more years.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Forgot to say, I think it's a great design and construction looks equally good. The question I have is why would anyone feel a need to etch a name on something like this that has plenty of merit on its own? Apparently, a new looking etched mark could even hinder a sale if buyers notice the contrast in patina. I would certainly research an etched Eisenberg mark. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

The stones may be Mexican onyx/travertine, they do not appear to be Operculum with the direction of the cracks.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply