cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, DECEMBER CHAT

sam_0944

As we fall into winter we look forward to crisp air, fiery leaves, apple cider, pumpkin spice, bomb fires, holiday fun and chatting with our jewelry friends.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: OCTOBER, NOVEMBER, DECEMBER CHAT

Hmm....freezer burn in that short of a time span..& if the food was vacumm sealed..I`d be thinking something wrong with the temp (food thawing & re-freezing)  but looks like other stuff would too..but thats just a guess.  Have never heard of that before.  

I know air is the biggest culprit for freezer burn so that makes it puzzling. 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 76 of 93
latest reply

Could there be something wrong with their vac seal or the wrap they're using?  All we have is the little freezer in our fridge so we don't store large quantities of meat, but I get better results with ordinary plastic wrap than that!

flotsamlogo
Message 77 of 93
latest reply

that's what i'm wondering....if they don't have it set cold enough, or if they open/shut the door all the time. He said most every thing freezer burns within 3 months!

From what i've found on google if it's not cold enough, at 0°, it would also freezer burn faster! Also overloading the freezer will make it worse, as well. I've never kept my freezer more than 75 to 80% full...if it's fuller than that it doesn't stay that way very long!

I just wish I had ideas to give them! I'm going to ask them what kind of vac sealer they have and what kind of bags or rolls they use. I've been using some I got from amazon and it works great, but I ended up giving it to my mom, she bought the ziplock one and the ziplock rolls won't work in it, they won't seal for her!

The wife is currently home with the chicken pox...the hubby broke out in shingles about two weeks ago...and she said she was certain she'd had the chicken pox as a kid...guess not! Both their kids have been vaccinated against them, so they are ok...I feel so bad for her, we snap chat every day and she just looks miserable...btw she's 32!!!
Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 78 of 93
latest reply

Oh man..that`s awful!  I`d only recently heard that you can get chicken pox by being in contact with someone with shingles..I did not know that before!  Poor gal!

To start with I think I`d invest in a thermometer for the freezer to check the temp.  Ice crystals forming on the food is a sign of thawing & refreezing.    Also check the door seal as they dry out over a period.  Guy told me when I got my new one few weeks ago..apply thin coat of mineral oil or vaseline to it ocassionally. 

They can also put some lose ice cubes in a zip bag (or better yet..have them vacumm seal using their sealer) & see what happens to them.  

Course..if the stuff IS still  vacumm sealed good & still getting freezer burn... I would think it`s a freezer problem of some kind..not the vacumm sealer

Message 79 of 93
latest reply

Sorry your friend is having such a hard time right now Fredi.  Chicken Pox is no fun, especially at 32.  But shingles is so much worse.  YUCK.

I agree with Sarah in that I think this is aa freezer issue.  I have a little chest freezer and use ziplock bags for my stuff and have never had an issue.  I like the idea of testing it out with ice cubes.

Hope they get better fast.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 80 of 93
latest reply

Hi, not to scare anyone, buy one can get chicken pox more than once. Back when I was a kid in the 1960s, whenever a kid came down with chicken pox, the neighborhood moms would organize a “chicken pox party”. All the kids would get together for a sleepover so they were all immunized (and sick) at the same time. I can distinctly remember the party and the blisters. So I know I was exposed. (They used to do this for measles, whooping cough, etc. too)

OK, so move ahead about 30 years and my daughter contracted the pox (this was pre-vaccine.) Several days later, I ended up with blisters all over my body. I even still have the scar from one on the roof of my mouth! I have no doubt that this was the pox and not shingles. My mom had shingles once, so I know what that looks like. Both my doctor & my daughter’s pediatrician said that while it is VERY rare, it is not unheard of.

Does anyone else remember these contagion parties?

Message 81 of 93
latest reply

LOL   

I bet if the mom`s would try something like that today..they`d get arrested for child endangerment. open_mouth

I had a case of the mumps (just on 1 side)  along with my kids years back.  Wasn`t  long after they began with the chicken pox. I immediately called mom to see if I`d had them. 

Message 82 of 93
latest reply

Ugh, shingles.  I wish that on no one.  I had them back in 2013.  Funny thing is I never officially had the chicken pox and was too old to have gotten the vacination.  I must have had silent chicken pox as a kid or something.   I've been laid up for the last three days with a bout of food poisoning.  Man, this is awful.  I didn't do anything or go near the computer I just laid around and slept, well once the vomiting stopped that is.

The fires in California are no where near me at the moment.  This is rare, the San Bernardino mountain areas are usually the first casualties.  When the Santa Ana winds blow down there it just gets cold up here.  It was getting down to 10 at night and a high in the low thirities. 

I've been through evacuations in the past and I've seen freinds loose their homes.  My heart grieves for all of them, and those poor horses at San Luis Rey.  I pray that they get a handle on all of the fires so that people can try to get on with their lives somehow.

Message 83 of 93
latest reply

Pox parties weren't a thing in my childhood  (maybe I'm just too old) but my generation never seemed to have any trouble getting our immunities the old-fashioned way without adult help. At least chicken pox was the only thing my kids had to suffer through - I'd read that a vaccine was in the works but they caught the bug before it was finally approved.

flotsamlogo
Message 84 of 93
latest reply

Next time we get together i'll ask them about the freezer, it's just odd to me that it freezer burns in such a short time!

I've heard if you had a very light case of the chicken pox you can get it again...I, however, do not have to worry about that...I looked like a walking chicken pox and I was sicker than sick with them for 10 days. Fever, aches, chills. I had the spots EVERYWHERE...and by EVERYWHERE I mean anywhere they could be...up my nose, in my ears, in my mouth and various other unmentionable places. I was (and still am) a scab picker so a lot of mine scarred, but for the most part the scars have now faded...most of them, I have several deep ones on my face, but I figure those are from me picking and then infecting and picking some more! I was 10 years old when I got them, my uncle called my mom up and said bring her up here, both my kids have the chicken pox. So mom popped me in the car on Sunday and took me to uncles house...where i played with my cousins all day...and the following Sunday i get up (at dads house) rush to the bathroom to look in my arm pits. Sure enough blisters! Whoohoo no school for me.......then I got sick and that was the end of the excitement for me! LOL My blisters didn't scab over for 10 days so I had to stay home the entire time. I ate 3 min eggs and nilla wafers as anything with salt would burn the blisters on my lips/tongue and in my mouth. I didn't wash my hair for several days cuz they hurt in my hair so bad....it was not a good time, lol.

My dad said the shingles were the worst pain he'd ever had...and friends husband agreed. What was so bad about friends husband is they couldn't figure out what was wrong with him for a couple of weeks, so they weren't treating him for shingles...

I'm praying for everyone effected by the wildfires and its good to know you are not in any danger, oncoyotemountain! Prayers that they get the fires put out very soon.

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!
Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 85 of 93
latest reply

So I finally got the Christmas stuff out of the shed yesterday and set up some semblance of Christmas in the house.  Between finances and a 7 month old kitten I choose to go with the small artificial tree I already had on a table top along with Santa's workshop.  Less tree to topple that way.

I had every intention of stringing a strand Christmas lights on the outside of the house but then I saw one of the neighbors houses and thought "What's the point"?  That have their front yard lit up like daylight with a lighted 3/4 size nativity scene, lights all up into the trees etc etc . . . No one is gong to notice if I run a strand of lights are not. I think you can see the nativity scene from space.  When I get the urge to string lights I walk down and stand and stare at theirs and the urge disappears, LOL.

The elves are out of the box now by the way.  I'm not sure the kitten is safe around them.

P1090091.JPG

Message 86 of 93
latest reply

Just rcvd this...as cute as can be!    

Just over a minute long..turn up your speakers!

Friends

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/vnVuqfXohxc?rel=0&%3bshowinfo=0

Message 87 of 93
latest reply

that was adorable! Thank you for sharing!

Hope everyone is ready for Christmas, I have some last second things to purchase on Saturday (mostly alcohol...lol) the things I always buy right before so I don't have to store them somewhere (again, alcohol!). I did buy my cards last nite. Not that I ever want to wait to buy them I just always forget them! I know I need three cards for money and I forget them every year. Usually buy them the day beofre, so I am a little earlier this year! HAHA

I finally finished my 5 quilt order last nite. Got them all washed/dried and fluffed up, she's picking them up tdoay...here's a couple of pics of them...

Green fleece backedGreen fleece backedPurple fleece backedPurple fleece backedback of the pink fleeceback of the pink fleece

I did five, black, green, purple/dark blue, tan & pink. They all looked fairly similar on top, since it was the same shirts/pants for all 5. I must say I don't really care for the pink one, but the blankets are going to the clothes owners (now deceased) 5 great grandchildren and two are girls, so that's why there is the purple/dark blue and the pink one!

Message 88 of 93
latest reply

if i dont get back on here before the new years........

Merry Christmas

so much going on....  

photo newyearsimageebay.jpg
Message 89 of 93
latest reply

Everything here has pretty much ground to a halt...it's cold...like freezing the nutz off a brass monkey cold. Current temp is 9° low tonite is 5°, tomorrow will be warmer, and by warmer I mean the high is 20° and that will be great cuz hubby is going to be out of town from 5am to 10am and I'll be on my own with the wood boiler...so much fun. I've loaded it twice already today, hubby's done it once, he'll do it again this afternoon, at about dusk and then right before bed. Sigh. However, a week from Friday we're going to warm up, some, and then keep warming up for the next few days. I can't wait. I'm very tired of wearing two sets of clothing, i feel like the stay puffed marshmallow man!

Other than the cold I had a pretty good Christmas, my baby bro decided at 2pm on Xmas eve to make the 6 hour drive home, surprising everyone. He's back now and should be going to work on Jan 3rd, but I suppose that depends on the weather!

I received an air fryer for Christmas, and so far I like it very much. Tonite's meal has been planned around using it to air fry a variety of things (french fries, cauliflower, mushrooms and whatever else i can think of to fry :))

Hope everyone had a great Christmas! I want to wish everyone a happy new year if I don't make it back here before then!
Message 90 of 93
latest reply