cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Jewelry......Care to take a stab at the letters in this signature?

litho 004.JPG

I have a mystery that I have been trying to solve   I tried google images on the serigraph itself and nothing   It keeps showing me asian art and this is not asian  lol Was wondering if anyone here can make out what the name is   I don't understand why an artist would sign so that no one could decipher it!!!  UGH!   lol  Hope no one gets mad   Any assistance is much appreciated   

litho 002.JPGlitho 003.JPG

Just in case you were wondering what it looked like    It's from 1985 and a limited edition    

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Not Jewelry......Care to take a stab at the letters in this signature?

Is it a silkscreen?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@gauntlettgems wrote:

I have a mystery that I have been trying to solve   I tried google images on the serigraph itself and nothing   It keeps showing me asian art and this is not asian  lol Was wondering if anyone here can make out what the name is   I don't understand why an artist would sign so that no one could decipher it!!!  UGH!   lol  Hope no one gets mad   Any assistance is much appreciated   

Just in case you were wondering what it looked like    It's from 1985 and a limited edition    

Because you've had few replies, offering my guessing.

My first impression, first letter first word, "I" or "J".  First letter second word "L" or lower case "h". 

Could the writing be the title rather than an artist signature?  Use position and other clues. to decide.  Is this writing next to a date and edition numbers?  Are date and edition in the same hand writing and pencil?  To a corner or (as appears in your photos) more to the center? .

Image search results are keying on the Asian motif fabric that dominates the image. If you are able, use a photo editor to blank out that pattern then search again. Or search using only the close up image of faces.

I ordered and framed numerous art prints in the 1980s to decorate my first home.  In those pre internet days, the frame shop loaned catelogs of prints for order, copies and numbered originals.  From my experience, I would suggest a google book search for art print catelogs of the era that could be browsed on line.  The catelogs were categorized so you wouldn't have to look through too many pages.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I don't know how to tell. I think it's a serigraph or lithograph
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Oh. That's s good idea I'll take a look again when I'm home. I thought it looked like the signature and not a title. Hmm. I'll try google search again on just the faces. I got some better results at the end of the night using French print in the search engine but that could be a wrong direction. Thanks for the help

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

If it's a name, the last name looks like Lear to me. Not sure about the first part. Bee? Pie? Bie?

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Ooh. I hadn't thought of that one! I can't figure out the fist letter in the first word. I was thinking it was Ine I'll have to check your suggestion. Tytytyty

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I'm seeing Bre Lear

and i could be totally off on that, lmao

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

You never know! Ty for helping. I'll check that out

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

It looks like Lear to me too.  Could be Bear or Hear also.  Have you tried some of the art shops that sell serigraphs?  Maybe they would recognize it or the signature.  Places like www.allposters.com or some place like that that sells artwork.   

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I see pretty much what the others see, but I do keep checking back to see if the mystery has been solved Smiley Happy.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I haven't had a chance to research again. I've been working on my family tee. I am so close to finding my birth father. I will try to look up the help I've gotten tonight. I will keep you posted!! Ty e1

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Have you tried a Google Image Search?  Go to Google, then click on the word Images at the top right.  Then you can upload a picture and do an image search.  You could search on the image, and also on the signature.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I did try that. I've been so freaking busy that I have not been able to do another thing with it. I need to upload better pics and try again. I will post what I find. Ty e1 for helping

Message 14 of 14
latest reply