cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help describing 2 Bakelite necklaces

25” long but the string has stretched25” long but the string has stretchedClose upClose upLight pink and 31” longLight pink and 31” longClose up of beadsClose up of beads

The photos of the pink necklace may be too dark. I will upload another if you need it. I tested both necklaces with simichrome and they are definitely Bakelite. I’m Not knowledgeable on Bakelite. Far from it.  I don’t even know what to call the colors much less the bead shape on the very off white one. Is there an age difference between the two? The clasps are the same. Any help would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Need help describing 2 Bakelite necklaces

These are interesting, but they don't strike me as Bakelite.   Did the Simichrome give a sort of orange stain?   It could be these necklaces are from another country and I'm just not familiar, but I've handled a lot of U.S. Bakelite, usually one thinks of more primary colors, reds, greens, yellows etc. 

The off white one is an interesting piece, it almost reminds me of Celluloid, but not sure that would react with Simichrome.  

You said in your post that you aren't that familiar with Bakelite.   I happen to have a photo of a Bakelite test I took last week.  Did your test look similar?

ba8.jpg

These are a bit of a mystery.  I don't know that I can even pinpoint an era, whether Bakelite or not.

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

You’re right. Mine came back darker brown. I thought I would try the hot water test on the white one and it smells REALLY strongly of something, but my smeller broke after COVID. I didn’t check the pink one. All I know is that I’m currently barking up the wrong tree. I know nothing about plastic jewelry but I really want to learn as it fascinates me. Thank you for your help. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I just read out that Celluloid would smell like camphor. I have no idea what camphor smells like. But, like I said before, my sense of smell has been off or nonexistent for quite a while. All I know is that that necklace had an overwhelming smell to it. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

No smell for Bakelite just holding it in the hand, and if you do a smell test, the reaction is brief.  With the hot water test or rubbing with your finger until it gets warm, Bakelite will just give a brief, but unmistakable scent.  I've heard the smell described as "insulation burning".   But the smell instantly dissipates once the heat is removed.  Might not be a good way to test if you can't smell things well.  (Sorry to hear that.)   I hesitate using the hot water test on necklaces, just because water can potentially weaken a cord that might be older.   I can usually spot Bakelite just visually, but I've been buying it for over 30 years.  I think some of that visual ID is also knowing the age of jewelry and having that as a big hint -- colorful plastic? 1930's? Bet's are it's Bakelite.  But I do keep a tube of Simichrome for confirmation.

If you want to learn about plastic jewelry, an idea might be to type "Bakelite" into the Ebay search box, limit the search to jewelry, and then search under "SOLD".     It will give you an idea of what is desirable and what prices sellers are getting.   Personally I think Bakelite is in a slump compared to 30 years ago.  It was hotter than hot, anything  BAKELITE meant instant sale back then, prices through the roof, not like that any more.  Now it has to really be a piece with certain colors or very desirable designs. 

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Some wonderful ideas, Lucille. I thought I would delve into plastic because it is unknown to me and I want to learn. Unfortunately the smell test is out for Bakelite for me and I doubt I could talk anyone else (ie my husband) into going with me to an estate sale so that I could “borrow” his nose. The idea makes me laugh. If Covid only impacted my nose and tastebuds, I’m perfectly happy. So many people lost loved ones. As for plastic jewelry, I’ll study the sold items and keep venturing into estate sales and picking up items that hopefully match. I always keep my costs low when learning. It not so much about making money as gaining knowledge for me at this point. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

My eyeballs say no bakelite there either.  They do say I bet the owner was a smoker; tobacco smoke staining looks like that .  Again, I've been at it long enough that I can mostly eyeball bakelite.  Really catalin, if we're being pedantic.  Those don't look like galaith either.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Ahhh. Why didn’t I recognize tobacco stains? I’m in healthcare for goodness sakes! So I’m thinking these two necklaces, which cost not much at all, might be placed in File 13. Live and learn. I don’t mind at all. It was my intention to try my hand at this. The tobacco stains were most likely what caused the pieces to come back with the dark brown simichrome test. I’m so thankful for both of you. What wonderful input! 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply