cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help describing c clasp brooch & would you call this a jelly belly? LOL

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Need Help describing c clasp brooch & would you call this a jelly belly? LOL

Well since people are voicing opinions to help Jaycee make up her mind ... I would vote that this is a Jelly Belly based off this description:

"Strickly speaking Jelly Bellies or Clear Bellies are animal-shaped brooches, made of sterling or metal with the animal's body made of a Lucite center.  Yet the term is also used in a broader sense, and Jelly Bellies have become the term used for all jewelry items in which Lucite is a primary component of the design or ornamental motif.  Apparently both terms were coined recently, since at the time these items were simply called Lucite jewels.  Lucite is the characteristic feature of these items which nowadays are almost all collector's items."

and the example picture I supplied.

Again this is just my opinion based off:

1.  The extinsive research I have done on the subject

2.  The fact that the term Jelly Belly was coined recently.  

3.  The original meaning of Jelly Belly (Trifari & sterling bellied animals) has been expanded to include non-Trifari from lots of companies that are       both signed and unsigned and non-sterling pieces.

4.  That your piece appears to feature a Lucite (unless of course it is glass) piece that is a primary componet of the design.

5.  It's an animal which puts it closer to the original meaning of the word, than say a flower.

Again, this is simply MY opinion which I have based off the listed facts, rather than an emotional definition that even the "experts" can't agree on. 

And once again, it is up to you how you would list it.  If it was me I would make that decision based on facts, rather than the fear I might upset some collector somewhere that knows just exactly what they think or feel a Jelly Belly "really" is.  JMHO

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

Re: Need Help describing c clasp brooch & would you call this a jelly belly? LOL

Sandy I suspect that the major difference is how we interpret this text.

Brunialti is discussing jewelry from 1930-1950, so this has to be remembered. 

The way I understand this is that the term now goes beyond only the clear lucite figurals of the period, and includes the hands, the ships, etc etc. of the period.  

Bear in mind this is a translation from Italian.

I don't read that and conclude that a cute piece of contemporary jewelry featuring a clear lucite that resembles a book piece from the 1940s  is now a jelly belly. 

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Arlene so now as sellers we not only have to worry about what it is made of, what color it is, but have been there when it was made to determine if it falls into "the" INTERPETED time frame?

One Angel fish

Angle 1

Two Angel Fish

Angel 2

Three Angel Fish

Angel 3

So which is a Jelly Belly and which isn't?  Two are from the 1940s and one is from the 1960s.  Personally, I would consider all three Jelly Bellies.

I list according to my research and common sense.  I don't fear my reputation will become ruined or tainted because I listed something that some collector somewhere wants to find fault with.  IF a buyer doesn't believe that I have listed something correctly, let them pass it by, that's what I do when I'm shopping.  People can disagree when it comes to opinions and interpretations.  But I got to tell you, you can only chew on a piece of meat so long before it loses it's flavor.Smiley Wink  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Oh Lord, I did it again, I think I need to take this jelly belly or not jelly belly and stick it where the sun don't shine! Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

My computer has the same trojan virus again. switched browsers so I won't be on here long until it finds me again.  Paid for it to be fixed nd had protection that did nothing.  I'm ready to pull my hair out and slap my own face.  When I saw it pop up again this morning, it should have said, "Honey, I'M HOME!!!!"

Carolyn

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

What you probably have is a rootkit that hides in your system files. They can be very tough to remove. Your first step should be to download and install MalwareBytes (you might have to use the paid version but it's cheaper than paying your tech again). Another good tool is Kaspersky - it can do an online scan. Again, you'll probably have to use a paid version to remove your bug. You might have to download it on another computer and run it from a flash drive.

What antivirus were you using that let the bug in in the first place?

flotsamlogo
Message 20 of 28
latest reply

Thanks Blue, I'll try that.

Carolyn

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

UPDATE!

I received a pleasant surprise when I went to my eMail a little bit ago.  I had received an eMail from Mr. Brunialti regarding this debate regarding Jelly Bellies.  So I thought I would share this with the group.

Dear Sandy,
I went on the debate about Jelly Belly and let me say, with compliments and many thanks, that you know my books better than I!
On the subject I think that to call an item jelly belly it must have Lucite, that is not every plastic, but just this plastic patented in 1937 by Dupont de Nemours with this name, as major component. Jelly Belly is not a "scientific" name, but an expression invented by some dealer or collector in nineteen eighties. Manufacturers of the time such as Trifari, for whose pieces the name was first probably invented, used to call them pieces with, say, sterling and clear Lucite, which should have simulated rock crystal or quartz.
All the best to you and thanks again
Roberto Brunialti (Bacchilides)

I am assuming that this is an actual message from Mr. Brunialti, although I'm not sure where the Bacchilides fits in, and not someone's idea of a joke.  I just thought you all would be interested in his message.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Very interesting , so an expression invented in the 1980's about the Vintage Lucite pins . Do you really think it's him ? Was he supposedly just reading the jewelry boards ? Or someone tipped him off ? Haha ! I think I remember someone saying he used to be on these boards . That's CRAZY & EXCITING !
Message 23 of 28
latest reply

I really don't know for sure Mermaid.  It is so hard to know for sure when on the internet, but I have no real reason to believe it isn't him.  My WAG would be that he was informed that his book was being discussed, but agin it is only my WAG.  I attached the complete message from him.  This is what I wrote back:

Dear Mr.,Brunialti,
Thank you for your interest in our little debate. It was a very interesting one. I totally agree that Jelly Belly is NOT a scientific name and was a name coined by someone sometime. The 1980s would also be my guess as this term was being used when I first started my interest in costume jewelry. Only at that time, it was pretty specific -Trifari- Sterling - Lucite belly figurals and anything else was NOT a jelly belly. Personally, I wish collectors had just stuck to Lucite jewelry as the description for these great fun pieces.

I truly do love your books. They are a wealth of information, thank you for writing them.
With greatest regard,
Sandy Carroll

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Sandy, what a super compliment, and I would suspect it is completely legit, there is a user based in Italy who uses that name who has been registered for 11 years on eBay. 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Sounds like a good WAG . Totally makes sense to me . I love it ! So funny that he said you know his books better than him ! AWESOME !
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

WOW!  I'm so proud of you Sandy! Bravo & Kudo's to you girl!

Carolynheart

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I'm glad I heard from Mr. Brunialti too.  It is always fun to hear from an author of a book that you admire.

I just want to make this clear.  I too believe that the original meaning to the term Jelly Belly was Trifari-Sterling-Clear Lucite belly pieces made in the 40s and 50s.  Very specific and easily recognized pieces.  BUT, and it is a big but, once the barn door was opened to non-Trifari, non-sterling, non-belly and yes, even clear colored Lucite pieces, I don't know how you close that door.  As in the case of the angel fishes, where and how do you draw that line?  I still don't believe that opaque plastic stones, or glass stones of any kind, or even real and natural stones should be called Jelly Bellies.  You could use Lucite as a deciding factor, BUT, there it is again, what test do you use for Lucite?  I have a couple of bracelets that are opaque and clearly marked Lucite from the 1980s and 90s.  So now a clear Lucite piece is a Jelly Belly but an opaque one isn't?.  Or you could use the time frame 40s and 50s, BUT, there it is again, how do you tell that seller that has that angel fish from the 60s, sorry you can't use that term to describe your piece but I can for my fish made in the 50s?

Listing is not easy under any circumstances, confusing at best.  You have to be true to yourself when listing and be willing to put your listing out there knowing, you can't please everyone.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply