cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navajo Willie Yazzie Pendant

Good Morning to all!

Thank you in advance.  I discovered this sterling pendant by the Navajo artist Willie Yazzie.  I have searched Navajo symbols and could not find this one.

Does anyone know what the symbols represents?  Thanks so much for your time.

Best,

Mary Jay e 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Navajo Willie Yazzie Pendant

The bottom part looks a bit like a rain symbol.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

It doesn't look to me like a Navaho design - it looks more Inuit or one of the Pacific Northwest Tribes like the Quileute (the ones that make totem poles).

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If it's definitely a Willie Yazzie piece it's Navajo. There is a large family of Yazzies, many of whom are jewelry artisans.

https://americanindian.si.edu/explore/exhibitions/item?id=890

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I should say a HUGE Yazzie family. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

In a way the design reminds me of a Navajo Storyteller Bracelet I have. Could be a Story not just one symbol?
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

More Yazzie:

Glittering World: Navajo Jewelry of the Yazzie Family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsyY7rm4cZs

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Just for fun I checked and there are almost 1800 pieces of jewelry on Ebay right now, by one member or another of the Yazzie family.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I looked at Navajo symbols on several websites, as well as symbol charts on Google Images. What I'm seeing is an overall Thunderbird impression, incorporating other symbols for rain/rain-clouds, rainbows, and leaves. On some of the charts rain/rain-clouds = prosperity; leaves = lightness (stacked triangles); rainbows (shoulders of the mirror image connected to the downward bars) = happiness.

--------

My guess as to the theme is Thunderbird's protection and strength expressed through rain/prosperity, leaves/lightness, and rainbows/happiness.

The subjective nature of an artist's work allows the combination of multiple symbols to construct and express an overall concept.

Them's my $0.02

A.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Hello to everyone!

Wow!  I want to thank each and everyone for responding to me.  The links are helpful. Yes, the Yazzie's are a huge family and quite prolific.    I appreciate your help.

Best,

MJ

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Sometimes Yazzie is a first name. I had some gorgeous, early Yazzie Johnson sterling & malachite earrings. He's famous. They went to a new home long ago.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply