cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marks on two pieces

1. Sterling (I assume) perfume pendant (also an assumption...) piece is 3.25" long, .75" wide, and approx. .25" deep.

DSCN0164.JPG

Mark looks like "T  &  Co" (very tough to get a great shot of the mark... this is just "good" methinks)

DSCN0156.JPG

2. Gold pin (1.25" Wide, 3/8" tall)

DSCN0163.JPG

has two marks...

First on clasp...

DSCN0161 copy.JPG

and... PAT. APL'D FOR on back of pin:

DSCN0162.JPG

Any info greatly appreciated!

Lang

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Marks on two pieces

The T & Co mark is Tiffany.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

c-a-v,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm surprised that there are no other marks on the piece. I thought Tiffany marks, well... just had more marks. Thrilled that it's a Tiffany piece, for sure. One wonders how to date it?

Thanks,

Lang

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Re first item. Is there a dabber?
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I did find another mark to the right of the "T & Co." mark... very faint, bottom of letters rubbed off... looks like "ST?G" ? being just a dot to view... guessing an R maybe?

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

o.c.n, 

No dabber. The cap is def tall enough to house one, methinks... but the angle of the top opening, because of the cap hinge, would not allow for a very tall dabber, which is, of course, an uneducated guess on my part.

Thnx,

Lang

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

The ST?G mark is visible in the photo that shows the "T & Co." mark... to the right of the piece.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Dabber might have been separate loose piece and been marked.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

o.c.n,

Ah... that makes sense. Too bad, though... missing the dabber... must hurt the value significantly, one assumes.

Thnx,

Lang

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I have some glass stoppers that I found on a craft lot card at a TS. To big for this but just an idea for a replacement if you could find.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@lang.murphy wrote:

c-a-v,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm surprised that there are no other marks on the piece. I thought Tiffany marks, well... just had more marks. Thrilled that it's a Tiffany piece, for sure. One wonders how to date it?

Thanks,

Lang

On the older stuff, ie: first half of last century they did not need to do so many marks as there was not all the counterfeits being made. The mark for sterling being the abbreviated word rather than 925 also indicates that it is an older piece. My guess would be between 1910 to 1930. I wouldn't worry about the daubber, try to get a photo of that area so that people can tell if there was one that broke off or if it was made without one and then list it at your happy price at auction, I'm pretty sure you will get your happpy price and more.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I have a memory in my head from a long ago post stating T & Co is not Tiffany & Co. as Tiffany always spelled out their name.  I wish I could find the post because it gave the history of T & Co. Smiley Frustrated.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

You really should contact Tiffany to verify that this is a Tiffany piece.  There are just too many fake pieces out there to attempt to verify a Tiffany piece from a photo.  JMHo

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I don't think that the hallmark is Tiffany & Co.  And you could get yourself in a whole lot of trouble with ebay and Tiffany if you list that as such, and it isn't.

You can ask Tiffany for an archival search on the piece (if they will accept it...they won't do just anything), but it takes a long time, and it is costly, actually more costly than the item will likely get at auction.

Far safer to list it as a perfume pendant, and note somewhere in the text that the touchmark says T & Co, with no reference at all to Tiffany, and show the picture of the mark.  If someone out there knows that it is Tiffany (which I doubt), they will be searching the auctions and they will find it. 

No sense in asking for trouble.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

No one has info/opinion of the marks on piece #2?

Message 15 of 18
latest reply