cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a couple more from Gramma's stash.

I'm making great headway sorting and identifying Gramma's jewelry, with a lot of thanks to this board's search function! Here are two I have questions on.

1. This broken 1943 Spratling Pillow bracelet, missing one link and missing a connector ball, has a weird partial coating. Nowhere have I seen this stuff with any sort of coating. What is it? I've not thought of cleaning it. AND, how or should I find a competant repair person to fix it? It actually fits me without the missing link. I know that intact, these bring a lot of money, would a repaired one missing a link be worth my effort? The marks are complete and accurate for Spratling, not a fake.

2. This charm (?) of South America. Has a faceted set green stone and the GK mark. It might be wishful thinking on my part, but that stone looks to be the exact right color of good emeralds AND it's set where Columbia is! Could GK have put a nice emerald on a sterling charm?

One good thing about being wrong is the joy it brings to others.
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Just a couple more from Gramma's stash.

I read the text before looking at the photos, and I almost choked when you said "Spratling" ! As far as repairs, I'd only get it fixed if I meant to keep and wear it. (And I hope you don't feel the need to polish the patina away -- I know, personal taste, speaking out of my own wants..:).)  If you want to sell it I'd leave it "as found" with full documentation of the signature marks. There are Spratling fans out there who would much rather have the pieces untouched.  Love, love, love Spratling!

As to the South America charm, it would be hard to tell for certain what the stone is, based on a photo. It looks kind of like a small piece of genuine emerald and it's definitely not the right shade of green for a rhinestone. Emeralds of the size aren't terribly costly, so the odds are that it's genuine. Have it tested if you really want to know. (And let us know the results!)

Keep up the show and tell from Grandma's stash. We live it vicariously!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Not keeping the Spratling. I think it's ugly, besides bracelets drive me crazy. Just wondered if fixing it would help or hurt the net profit.

Might have "my guy" in Tucson test that stone for me. I do love emeralds!

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

You're sure to receive a variety of opinions about the Spratling. I'm only expressing mine about thinking a Spratling collector might prefer to have repairs made (if any) under his/her direction, by a favored silversmith who handles antique items for them.

Good call on the (maybe)-emerald. I have personally owned, well make that still own, a very small collection of tiny pieces of unpolished emerald. They're not very exciting, and for the most part I couldn't even sell the whole lot for under $5 when I had my booth. Maybe if these tidbits were of higher quality things might be different.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Anyone in your family with a birthday in May born in Africa? Just wondering about that charm Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

There are a couple of letters next to the silver marking on the back of the charm.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

South America, not Africa, and no, LOL! Zero clues in family history why she'd have a charm from South America. She was a Philadelphia society Jewess who married a gentile shoe salesman for love and was disinherited for it. Entire life spent giving the finger to snobbishness and bigotry.  My hero.

Gramma Edie and her shoe salesman, Grampa Jimmy.Gramma Edie and her shoe salesman, Grampa Jimmy.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Yes, GK.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I vote for True Love and Shoe Salesmen over all else.

Brava Gramma!  Brava!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Go Gramma!  There are a few ladies in my family tree who did similar things. The ones I know about thought they got the better end of the deal.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Kudos to her and their love!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for loving my Gramma too!

Now, couple unresolved original questions:

Who/what is GK on the charm?

So that weird partial coating on the Spratling is just patina and I leave it alone?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

GK would be the initials of the maker of that charm.  Probably not very meaningful...there are many initials on items that aren't of any particular consequence...and an emerald in a charm that looks like a tourist piece would likely have little value.

What type of coating is on the Spratling bracelet?  This is a silly question, but did you wash the bracelet in a warm, soapy water (mild dish detergent and a soft brush?)...

I don't think a coating would be considered to be patina.  I also don't think that the value would be affected if you took a sunshine cloth and gave it a polish...

Patina and schmutz are different things!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

So beautiful!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply