cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JULY - AUGUST - SEPTEMBER CHAT

July-Aug_Sept.jpg

Sorry I'm a little late, but the gate is open, so come on into our garden of friends, and fellow collectors and chat awhile. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

OOOO  I`d like to run right into that pretty garden..looks so cool & inviting!!! 

Good to see ya Sandyl..hope ya`ll still having tons o fun! 

I just finished canning 21 jars of glazed carrots this morning...watered what`s left of the garden..picked last of the beans..some cukes, tomatoes. The heat has been so wicked...my maters ripened extra fast!  LOL  Just have a few left on the vines..but that`s ok. I`ve enjoyed sharing them & eating them myself  😉

Is tempting to plant another round of beans..but if the heat continues..won`t be good on them when time to bloom..so I`ll pass.

My boy, Fredi continues to behave himself  lol.  Glad I found out about the TNR program here..explains everything..especially the clipped ear!  So I don`t think I have to share him with other 'parents' now  lol

Seriously considering trying to bring him in..but not too sure with JJ.  Don`t know if I have the patience it would take to get them used to each other..nor how to go about it.. 

Otherwise..whatcha been up to??

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Hi Sarah.  Yes, I am still having a ball.  Infact, I have been picking up some pieces around here.  It's really strange, you would think that around between Baton Rouge and New Orleans there would be lots of goodies, but no.  And then here in the middle of Amish country I'm finding pieces.  Go figure!

21 jars of carrots!  WOW!  Think I would not try the beans again.  I think the "unusually hot weather" is here to stay.  

Glad Fredi is back.  The TNR program sounds like it might be a good idea.  If you bring him inside, I bet the two cats will find their own space in the house until they get use to one another.  Or at least, I hope.

Michelle has Friday off and we are planning on going and exploring Nashville.  Should be fun.

Hope you and yours have a great 4th along with the others here on the board.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

I did it!!  I processed 13 1/2 lbs of pork shoulder into sausage.  I used 3 different flavors I`d bought from Nesco, cooked a tiny pc after mixing and they are all deelish!!!    

Only  real problem I had  (somebody gonna have to help me outta bed in the morning I`m afraid  lol) was 

I could have sworn it was gonna fit at our dining table..thought it had enough of an edge lip to screw it to..WRONG!!!   And the edge on all my plastic work tables are too thick.

Thankfully I had an odd chair that I was able to mount it to the SEAT of it..but bein bent over for almost 2 hrs was no fun!  LOL   I tried squatting to do it..that didn`t work ..so I`m gonna put my thinking cap on before I make more 🤓
But, it was fun & the taste made it worth it  lol 

Now I`m gonna nose around at different recipes..as I`m sure it will be much cheaper in the long run with my own spice blend  (all but the Bratwurst flavor) ..I doubt I can replicate that one. Is what I fixed for supper tonite in air fryer..didn`t even dress it up other than a bit of mayo..I wanted the full sausage taste effect! 

But I can experiment with spice blend recipes by just buying some pre-ground pork. But I`m glad I finally bought this thing! 

DSCN9664-Edited.jpg

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Congrats!  Looks good.  Have you thought about doing like an apple sausage or adding cheese.  I buy the apple sausage every once in a while, they are delicious.  I think they just grind the apples and then infuse it in the meat.  I see your doing patties.  Are you going to advance to the links?

We are headed to Nashville for the next two days.  We have tickets for the hop on and off tours.  I'll bring back some pictures.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Nope..only patties for now or just vacuum seal by the lb.  Then I`ll move on to getting some canned (loose)  I do in 8oz jars..just enuff for the 2 of us for sausage gravy.  Frees up freezer space  😉

Enjoy Nashville..can`t wait to see pics!

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Had a great time in Nashville with the kids.

Packmates 3.jpg

Packmates 6.jpg

Nashville (23).jpg

Lots of history and lots of fun!

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Flipping, looks like traveling agrees with you. 

1940fc, my supervisor uses a short stool with wheels for low level jobs. It is about 10 or 12" high. She picked it up at Walmart.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

That would definitely work, scifi! 

I am tinkering with an idea to build something simple  I can set on the dining table  (kitchen counter might be too high by time I leave space to turn handle)..I think it will be easy to make & I can use the rubber shelf liner or rubber mat stuff to keep it from moving. 

I guarantee I`ll have something before next sausage making journey..whether a stool or a DIY thing  LOL

I can imagine how great your visit is there, Sandy!  Would love to see that museum! 

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

Sarah, they make things called furniture or bed risers that may be what you need. I think they're stackable. They come in sets of four, available on ebay.

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Larry I could kiss you!!!  I do have a nice heavy duty set...forgot where they were but I remembered I`d used them under a flower pot this year!  LOL  

They are each 6" high..I can stack 2 together which will make the height  7 1/2"....then I can add a nice thick board just  wide &  long enough for my pan & the grinder to fit on..bolt the board & 2 risers together using  wing nuts.  That should do the trick! 

And I can still use the gripping shelf liner to keep it from moving on the table! 

Ok..I`d probably get in trouble with a kiss..so sending a  big hug instead!  😉

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

LOL, OK, hug accepted. Glad I could help, you and the other boardies are much appreciated for all the help you've given me. 

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Nothin is bolted down yet..but it`s gonna work great!   I happened to have a replacement top to a nightstand from way back when we were selling furniture, I set it on the 4 bed risers...put the grinder back together & clamped it to the wood to make sure the handle had plenty room to turn.  Now all I gotta do is check my stash of nuts & bolts  & I`m good to go!! 

Thanks again, Larry..I`d have never thought of this! 

DSCN9669-Edited.jpg

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Looks great.  I love to McGiver problems.  Way to go Larry.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Looks good, that should work.

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 15 of 34
latest reply