cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this necklace older or new Tibeten Tribal. Tested positive for sterling.

I couldn't find any marks.  The clasp isn't old but that could be a replacement.  I thought it was Alpacca but when I tested it with silver solution and with 18K soluton, I got a very strong positive for sterling on the pendent and on the long silver beads.  I tested it again just to make sure.  I'm not familiar with this kind of chain.   I did polish the back of the pendent with a cloth to see if there was a mark under the tarnish but all I found were the dents you see in the picture. 

I can't remember who it was but,  thank you to the person who posted a while back about using the 18K solution to test the silver.  I find it much easier to read plus, the silver solution goes bad so quickly.   Thank you in advance for your help.

photo P1040968ps1a_edited-1.jpg photo P1040971ps1.jpg photo P1040974PS1.jpg
 photo P1040968p22.jpg
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Is this necklace older or new Tibeten Tribal. Tested positive for sterling.

Check out Lapis pieces from Afghanistan, it looks similar to many I have seen.

Did the streak disappear before coming back bright blue/white?  I found that non-silver pieces just stayed the same color with 18K acid.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Is this necklace older or new Tibeten Tribal. Tested positive for sterling.

I'll have to test it again.  When I test silver,  I use an old beat up sterling silver spoon so that I can compare the colors.  This necklace started out milky white and then turned  blue and, it matched the spoon.    The silver solution was a deep red and also matched the spoon.   Maybe it was the Afghanistan necklaces that I saw and not the Tibetan.  I'll have to check those out too. Thank you.  🙂

Message 3 of 3
latest reply