cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This an Elsa Peretti PRE-TIFFANY Halston Bone Cuff?

My wife is a fashion photographer and was active in NYC in the 70's and 80's. She swears this is an Elsa Peretti gold-plated bone cuff bracelet that she thinks she bought at Bloomingdale's.  I am trying to research Elsa Peretti's PRE-TIFFANY pieces to see if my wife's memory is correct. This is definitely NOT a Tiffany piece, but I don't think it is a knock-off, either. It seems to be very high quality, and "feels" heavy and vintage.

There are a few photos of Halston jewelry that Elsa Peretti designed that I was able to find online, but nothing to document whether this specific piece is truly an Elsa Peretti original, or possibly a vintage knock-off.

Can anyone help to identify it, or help me to find out where to research further?

The only marks it has on it are a capital "E" in a box, the what appears to be "X.C." in a box and then 925.

Thanks so much for any info you might provide.  This has become a mystery I'd love to solve!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Here is a close-up of the markings

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I had a Tiffany piece that was similar and it was done in silver I know they came in right wrist or left wrist styles I hope that helps I don't remember mine being Peretti
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Neuronranch,  I am researching similar topics on some pieces I believe to be early Peretti for Halston.  Here is a wild guess for your consideration:  Elsa Peretti studied with (and likely had an affair with) Spanish sculptor Xavier Corbero.  In an article I cannot find right now, she talked about developing her craft with him early in her jewelry career.  Could your wife's cuff be an early design or prototype that they collaborated on before she further refined the cuff for Halston and Tiffany?  Maybe only Elsa herself knows the answer now.

If you find out any other details about your hallmarks, I am interested in the information.  

Best of luck. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

It does resemble the Tiffany & Co cuff I had in sterling years ago but I don't remember mine being an Elsa Peretti
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@cwalecka wrote:

Neuronranch,  I am researching similar topics on some pieces I believe to be early Peretti for Halston.  Here is a wild guess for your consideration:  Elsa Peretti studied with (and likely had an affair with) Spanish sculptor Xavier Corbero.  In an article I cannot find right now, she talked about developing her craft with him early in her jewelry career.  Could your wife's cuff be an early design or prototype that they collaborated on before she further refined the cuff for Halston and Tiffany?  Maybe only Elsa herself knows the answer now.

If you find out any other details about your hallmarks, I am interested in the information.  

Best of luck. 

If this was bought at Bloomingdales, the likelyhood of it being a prototype is pretty slim, IMHO.  

She is on facebook, https://www.facebook.com/elsaperettidesign

Why not post a picture of your bracelet and and ask her if this is hers and see if she will give you a date on the piece?

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Your window of opportunity is fairly narrow for this.  Peretti arrived in NYC in 1968, won a Coty Award in 1971 and began her relationship with Tiffany in 1974.  Her designs for Halston were only in silver.

Debora

Message 7 of 7
latest reply