cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Good 'Til Cancelled Really Good?

I've noticed that my GTC listings don't do as well as my one week auctions or BIN's.  They just seem to sit and sit with the same old watchers and grow moss.  What is your experience with GTC's vs. shorter listings?  Thanks for your input!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I tend to leave my jewelry listings on GTC and to be honest, it is a bit of laziness on my part but also because I use Pinterest and Twitter. If I use sell similiar, those links won't go to the right place  (from Twitter and Pinterest). If you relist, then any link someone  may come across, or a watched item for that matter, you have to click on see relisted item over and over.

You are right, GTC does seem to grow moss. I have read that it is better to just relist or sell similiar every 30 days because you get the benefit of the newly listed or ending soon tags.  On the other hand you do not get to hold the watcher count, which occasionally can help sell an item. 

On other types of items, I sell I do not use GTC very often. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I also use GTC a lot. Every 3 or 4 months I evaluate each listing and often lower price or add Best Offer, and at that time I will relist or Sell Similar.  IF there are watchers I'll relist because I think watchers get an email about the relist.  I do think GTC listings grow stale, but I think auctions or BINs that are relisted week after week also get stale.  For my items, I tend to think that it is the item or the price that keeps something from selling, more than the type of listing. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I used to keep my listings on 30 days, but agree with Baubles that it doesn't really fit with promoting your items on social media. I've also seen older items that have been sitting in my store forever start flying out the door (even if I didn't tweet them). So go figure. For every item you list there's one person who wants it; it's just a matter of getting the item in front of that person's eyeballs.

flotsamlogo
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Mine has come down to pure laziness I`m sure  LOL  I really do need to consider some  additional changes.  

But I could not help but laff when after the holidays, I did as I alwasy do..go thru  my listings..see which ones have had X amount of views & then I add em to myClearance Corner reducing the price.  

I did over 100 this year and I STILLget that infernal message from Ebay telling me. 
"This listing has not had any sales in 16 months. Please consider revising"

Isn`t that what I just did??

First of all I know it hasn`t had any sales in 16 months..if it had..it would not still be listed  DUH!! 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

But I am seriously gonna try & be more vigilant with my stale merchandise.  No different than a B&M store..if peeps see that same old same old when they enter..they soon will cease to enter.

But for me..as long as I list every day (kinda like fruits & veggies..I strive for 5 a day Smiley Very Happy)..I get sales..but it`s not the new listings that sell..it`s something already listed..go figure. 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I think GTC is just a way the bots hide your item.. JMHO They just keep getting pushed to the back of the line.. However if it is too low priced, it goes to china and gets lost in that stuff.. If it is too high, or no free shipping, who knows where it fits in.. It is hard to get your things shown in Best Match, I have not figured that out yet..

Also I have seen item in my search with 29 day to go and they are at the top of the list.. most of the times the discription has nothing to do with the place it is listed, so go figure..

when I am at a lack for something to do, I search things by just putting in one word, or weird words, and find things that make me laugh.. I say "what are you doing here, are you lost" ? Then I look for it in the place I think it should be, and ZIP..

I go thru 1000"s of listings and can not find..

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for your perspectives, everyone.  Interesting to read how GTC's relate to social networking.  I guess we're all trying to figure out how best to hawk our wares Smiley Very Happy.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I hope everyone read this when I posted it earlier this week.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2015/3/1425390091.html

This maybe be something that people that are using GTC and have inventory that is 18 months or older needs to keep a close eye on.  Generally speaking what starts over there sooner or later comes over here.  Just saying.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply