cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help with this pretty bracelet

I have this lovely bracelet and I wanted to list it. But as I look at the mark on the back - I can't figure out any information. Then besides that- I looked at the stones and while they look like opals - They are much too bright so what do I call them? I will appreciate any and all help.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I think they call these Mexican Opals or Mexican Fire Opals.  Ya can google it to see examples & also other listings

Pretty bracelet!

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thanks so much for the quick reply!! Mexican Fire opals! I like the sound of that. I'm so happy that they are not just glass.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The stones are foiled glass. 

Have a look at these (for information purposes only):

https://www.etsy.com/listing/228283033/vintage-1940s-taxco-mexico-foiled-glass

http://www.galwest.com/jewelry/taxco_jewelry/taxco__foil_bracelet.htm

Rubiano44

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

This looks to be marked 925 for sterling silver but a lot of these Mexican panel bracelets aren't silver, they are marked to deceive.

Be sure to test before listing it as sterling silver.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hey Rubiano - Thanks for the links to the other bracelets. The second one is almost identical. The price on the first one made my heart skip a beat. I wish I had a testing kit so I would know if it is sterling. Maybe it's time to invest in one. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Given the wear to the taller mark, it probably is sterling, but can't hurt to check it out. I like the "foiled glass opal" descriptor...there is true Mexican opal (from the ground), which looks nothing like these!
Message 7 of 7
latest reply