cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lost another one!

A litle figural pin with two scottie dogs and a C clasp.  A favorite!  I tried sticking scotch tape on the pin stem and on the denim fabric on the back of my bib overalls, hoping the tape would keep the pin from getting away if the clasp should open.  Someone once mentioned this as a way to help secure a C clasp.  But it must have come loose when I unbuckled my seat belt, the belt drags across my chest when it retracts.  This is the second such pin I have lost.  Now I don't want to wear another one and have it come up missing.  Smiley Sad

Does anyone have a suggestion to prevent such loss?  Thank you.

~valley

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: I lost another one!

Sorry you lost your pin.  This may help.  You know those little plastic, I call them nubs, that fit on wire earings to hold them on.  Well put your pin through your material and then pit one of those little plastic nubs on your pin stem and then fasten the saftey clasp.  If the clasp opens the pin won't just slip off because of the nub.  It kind of works like a stick pin.  Good luck.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Sorry you lost your pin 😞

Just had a thought. Another way to secure a pin like this might be to use a tiny elastic /rubber band wrapped tightly around the hinge end of the pin before it is attached leaving a loop long enough to stretch and wrap around a couple times at the pointy end after putting the pin through the fabric and before securing in the c clasp.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Sandy and Crow, thank you for your recommendations.  I had thought about the little earring nub and couldn't seem to visualize how to place it on the pin.  The rubber band idea sounds like a good thing to try too.

I have a search on for a scotty pin, hoping to find a replacement.  Six weeks and so far, nothing.  I thought my pin would be easy to find.  It was two dogs with green guillloche and I found it on the Bay for a song.  That will never happen again.....

~valley

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I know you must have checked already but did you check around the seat's floor brackets? If your car door was closed when you unbelted the pin could have fell into cranny in the back seat even.

For Sandy's method you attach the pin through the fabric than slip the silicone clutch onto the pin tip and up against the fabric than catch the pin tip in the c-clasp.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Oh-Oh? I think I know what (masking) tape on the back might be for and also might be a different way to use the elastic band or silicone clutch. This would only work if the pin is visible behind the fabric. Stick the pin through the fabric. Wrap the elastic tightly around or push on clutch or wrap pin stem with several layers of tape. Push pin through to the front and catch in c-clasp.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Come to think of it, I couldn't open the door with the seat belt on because it is attached to the door.  I will look again at the seats underpinnings when it stops raining here.  I was thinking the pin fell off and dropped to the ground when I stood up to get out of the car.

The last time I lost a C clasp pin I was in the grocery store at the check out counter and looked down and my pin was by my feet.  I felt so lucky!  Maybe if I search really well I will have luck again.

~valley

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Yes, masking tape wrapped might be a better choice than scotch tape stuck to the fabric back and pin.  Testing that, the pin just slides away from the scotch tape.  Something wrapped around it would be a better choice.  It seems like all my favorite pins are older ones with the C clasp and now I am uneasy about wearing one.

~valley

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I have had some brooches get caught on my purse strap and nearly lost them 😞

Message 9 of 9
latest reply