cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you sell this 14k gold opal ring?

HI all,

I have this white opal gold ring that is a beauty. But, the opal has some cracks and damage. I don't know if I should sell it with the opal and list as a TLC, or should I remove the opal and scrap the gold? The opal is really pretty and was thinking about taking to a jeweler and see if he could put it in a pendant for me? Not sure though. All thoughts appreciated.

IMG_5537.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How would you sell this 14k gold opal ring?

That setting seems too pretty to scrap.  I'd list it as is, mentioning the problems with the opal and including the mm size of the opal.  Some stones can be replaced rather inexpensively - either with another opal or another kind of stone.  I've done it before and it's worked out very well.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi Deam,

Your right the setting is very pretty, I think I will sell as is, thank you!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

May I ask a bit more about your opal. All you say that it is cracked and chipped. Not where though. Why I say this opal can be repolished quite easily. If the cracks for example are on the surface crazing type , these often occur when the opal has dried out, yes opal is porous and should be kept in a moist atmosphere. most retailer of note you will see a glass of water in the cabinet to compensate for the heat of the showcase lights for example. Chips also can be removed if not too deep. Your opal may be worth someone having a look at this for you. This all depends of course on the value of the opal alone. They are hard to photograph sometimes, yours appears to be a very milky white opal. These are less valuable than one with a play of colour or fire. 

I hope I have helped. Charm

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

HI Charm,

There are two hairline cracks by the ring setting, also a chip on the side of the opal. I will take it to a jeweler and see what they can do. Also, the ring has a lot more color in it than my picture  shows, thank you for your comments.

cindy

Message 5 of 5
latest reply