cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hematite or just something that looks like it?

I had a hematite ring back in the 60's (yes, I am that old) and this brooch certainly looks like hematite but I would like to be sure.

020.JPG

015.JPG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Here's a closeup of just the flower:

023.JPG

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Pheasant ,

It's hard to be sure , but it looks like this brooch is blacker than hematite . More like an Obsidian or Onyx . Or even glass to imitate one of these . My Hematite ring has more of a gun metal or grayish silver tone to it . The ring is faceted and very reflective but here is a picture maybe you can see what I'm thinking about .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I think my problem is that I don't have particularly good lighting - just the light from a window and it's an overcast day.  It does have that sort of metallic look.  Maybe this photo shows it better:

026.JPG

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Oh o.k. , yes that does look more like it . It has that metallic grey look , a little lighter than most gun metals . I always liked hematite . Your brooch is pretty .
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Hi, have some haematite stones so have photographed them here for you. One has had the flash used the other just my flood lights. The ring looks like either glass as one of the ladies has said or the facetted onyx which is all the rage. Hope the pictures help. If they are not big enough for you let me know. Charmstones no flash.jpgstone 1.jpg

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Charm ,
The ring is definitely faceted Hematite . I guess it's hard to take a picture of . Pheasant was actually asking about the flower brooch .
Mermaid 🐳
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I fairly certian that those are Swarovski crystals in Jet Hematite.

http://www.beadstuff.com/swarovskicolors.htm

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I think they are rhinestones meant to look like hematite.  Hematite should be magnetic, if my memory serves me.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I didn't know hematite was magnetic.  I checked these out and they are not magnetic so I changed my listing to glass rhinestones that resemble hematite.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Actually when I was researching hematite I found that it's only very weakly magnetic so your magnet might not work for testing. There is "magnetic hematite" on the market today, sold as "therapeutic" (pure quackery!) but it is not natural hematite; it's an artificial substance.

flotsamlogo
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I think I see scratches? Is it possible Hematite is softer than glass? (This brooch looks like something that could have been used for natural stone.)
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I checked with my magnifying glass, didn't see any scratches.

I also read that info about it being weakly magnetic so I used the strongest magnet I had; it still didn't attract the least little bit.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply