cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Silver and Black Beads Necklace

I think I should know how these beads are made, I just can't come up with it. I tested them and the silver is sterling. It looks like the silver pieces are embedded in a black ground like damascene but it doesn't look like the damascene I am used to seeing.

Anyway, if anyone had any ideas I would be very grateful Smiley Happy

BlackWSSBeadsNecklace.jpgBlackWSSBeadCU.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Are you thinking Pique?

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Possibly niello
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Sandy, maybe Pique Smiley Frustrated

Holly, the surface of the black looks mat, almost porous. I think niello is smoother than that, but I could be wrong!

It looks through a loupe like after the silver was inset the surface was filed or sanded to make both the metal and the black ground the same hight. Does that make sense?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Some ethnic or tribal origin?  I have a Tuareg ring that is 99% silver and it is combined with ebony, with a similar look...although the engraving is more sophisticated.  You can't tell where the ebony stops and the silver begins...

I thought African bicone bead shape...just something that seems tribal to me about it!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Could be would or horn.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I don't see grain in the beads. Here is an extreme close up of one of the beads, I don't know if it helps but I figured it couldn't hurt. I think you can see what I mean about sanding or filing marks on the silver.

BlackWSSBeadCU2.jpg

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I asked my question on Antiquers along with all your great suggestions. There are a lot of boardies there from all over the world so maybe someone there will know. I will keep you posted Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

OOHHH! Those look more like it! Thank you OCN Smiley Happy

Someone on the other board suggested old coconut, that also looks like a possibility, off to Google!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Thanks so much OCN, I think Mauritanian inlaid ebony or resin beads is what I have. I found the following links though they are not as fine as the ones I have:

https://www.thebeadchest.com/collections/black-beads/mauritania

https://www.etsystudio.com/listing/513225943/mauritanian-jumbo-bead-silver-inlay

These seem closest, they are resin:

https://www.thebeadchest.com/collections/all/products/round-mauritanian-inlaid-resin-beads

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Your beads are definitely finer quality heart

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

The work of the Sahara desert nomadic tribes is so incredible!  I had the pleasure of watching a Tuareg artisan produce a bracelet from a pure silver bar,  and he made it look like child's play.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply