cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ID unmarked vintage rhinestone brooches please?

I have a couple of beautiful pins with no maker mark. Both are quite exquisite, and I would think from an important designer/maker -- but who?

As for the butterfly - I've researched what seems like 1,000 vintage butterfly pins and still can't figure this one out. The butterfly has a gold pin on the back, so has probably been repaired at one time (and is missing one stone on front).

And this gorgeous, huge round rhinestone cluster brooch! The multi-faceted stones have such INTENSE sparkle, like diamonds! It measures a large 2-1/4" inches diameter [57.15 mm] and has three tiers, two rows of angled overlapping baguettes, of two varying sizes. Then the center protrudes upward in a slightly conical shape, alternating with rounds separating bagettes, and topped with a large, round stone. All stones are prong-set, exceptional quality, and reflect light almost like a prism. In a polished silver, closed-back setting (rhodium or rhodium plated???). It is unsigned. It has a nice, weighty feel that you would expect from a quality piece. 

Any help or ideas appreciated! Woman Very Happy

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I suspect the butterfly (or moth) was originally a dress or fur clip. Looks like pot metal from the 1930s.

I would date the other piece to the 1950s/1960s. A good quality brooch and you've described it very well.

Probably rhodium plate. Very pretty but it's unlikely that you'll ever be able to pinpoint a manufacturer.

Have a Blingful Day!
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Good idea on the butterfly. Thanks, Freddy! Now I wonder if there was a certain designer that made figural fur/dress clips in the 30's era. Looks like a new search is underway... Woman Wink

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Love the butterfly.  So pretty.

Unfortunately, many many designers made fur and dress clips during that time.  I have had a couple of book pieces, and both were not signed on mine or in the book. 

The second one, very nice, but the round design was a pretty common one and will probably remain a mystery.  I have a book on deco and will glad to take a look for the butterfly.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, Sophie. 'Pursh-ate' it! I ordered a book on jewelry yesterday. Hoping I'll find the butterfly some day.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Checked my Warman's book yesterday, and no luck sorry.  The Warman's I have deals strictly in this time period so it is pretty extensive. 

Both brooches look like they are in very good condition with the exception of the small rhinestone missing in the butterfy so should do very well for you although unsigned.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks again, Sophie. I'll keep looking. In the meantime, I found a brooch that looks very similar in style to my big, round, clear stones brooch. The one I found is D&E/Juliana. Now I wonder -- especially the fantastic quality that mine is.

It's halfway down this page, on the left.

http://www.junkyardjeweler.com/vintage_costume_jewelry_mall/hang-tagged_juliana_jewelry.htm

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I think it will remain a mystery, it doesn't look like D&E to me.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply