cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Haskell necklace question

I don’t come across Haskell much so I was tickled to find this yesterday! Can anyone help with what to call these beads? I just can’t figure them out. I’ll admit that all I’m seeing is those big Hawaiian nut necklaces when I look at this! I guess the “stone” is plastic but not even sure about that. If it helps in iD’ing at all the necklace is heavy, over 4oz. Also, I think the bead with the green mark was resting on the metal findings and picked up a stain. I tried just wiping it with water but doesn’t come off, any ideas on safe way to remove it? Thanks!

949F76E5-BCCF-4624-86DC-12FA7E818252.jpeg06ED2683-5AA3-4FAE-AE67-C65657108521.jpegE214BFE9-605D-44CF-8B14-26767A59A12E.jpegE1ADCFB2-4722-452B-AC8A-BBE1AAF6F9FB.jpeg

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Haskell necklace question

You're trying to remove oxidized base metal material from an unknown surface. 

Try Rubbing Alcohol moisten Q-Tip, very gently and only on green spots, the surface might be painted. Watch out for spillage.

Any stronger material might cause damage   

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Gave it a shot...it didn’t budge , lol.  Thanks for the suggestion!!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

It's deep. If removed, you'll see stain mark ... It sounds like a porous material. I'll leave it be 

You're welcome 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

yes, it looks to be in the back part as well, I wouldn't mess with it, I think Haskell is still pretty collectable?....

should do well even with that,

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I wouldn't know. I am that person people go to for repairing and taking care of their jewelry. The process I suggested, is the procedure used in museums.  If I had the piece on hand, I would have been of more help. 

Collectors are more into 'as found' condition of vintage and antique jewelry. So, I don't think, you would have any problems to sell this beautiful piece. It's, 'Haskell' after all. Very rare and expensive brand. Don't let anyone intimidate the piece because of couple of discolorations due to ware and tear. Spots show this piece is in original condition and aged.

Good Luck,

Kia 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

TreasureIsland....here’s  hoping! Lol I would have preferred to come across one of the beaded Haskell pieces that buyers love so much but hopefully someone will love this too. 
Kia...you were helpful! I’ll be keeping my bottle of alcohol at my work station now that I know it a low risk way to clean. Thank you

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hi! It has been a long time since I have sold on eBay...8 grandbabies and care for my mother-in-law. 

I have been reading a lot of everyone's conversations on the new way of selling and I'm not sure if it would be worth my while to get back to it.  Most of you seem to be discouraged by it....not that that surprises me.

Okay! Enough of that.  I wanted to let  you know wardbraun that you might trying using a dab of baking soda of it.  Take a little water and make it into a paste, place a tiny amount on the spot and leave it to see if it will lift the spot out.  I would not rub it too harshly, you might dull the bead.  Hope it works.   Terri

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Great, just don't use it on Pearls. it might leave a stain mark. I've seen it happen on  Chinese Cultured Pearls because of their coating and initial growth environment of Fresh Water.

Rubbing Alcohol is a mixture of 70% or a little more or less of Isopropyl Alcohol and %30 water.  Much stronger distilled ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH)  or Industrial Alcohol would be my next choice of product used on this case which I don't recommend for you to have around. That one is applied with very small Acid Brush. You need to cover surrounding area with wax. The process is very meticulous and time consuming

You could use Rubbing Alcohol on all stones and all metals with or without plating. I haven't seen, read or heard of any complains. Remember to use Q-Tip. Q-Tip will control the application amount.

In case of stones with any mirror backing and Swarovski crystals, DON'T use Alcohol, it will/ might react with coating.  Hot Towel will be the best remedy for those cases.  

I am happy to be of any help,

Thanks  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Hi Terri,

The reason the item gets dull is because Baking Soda's crystals are very large and they scratch any surface they come in contact with. Using Baking Soda in this case would be like using a relatively rough Sand Paper 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Please don't take this as Gospel.

I vaguely remember some one posting about using age spot cream on discolorations on jewelry. It was a very long time ago and I do not remember if it was challenged.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Age Spot Cream has hydroquinone(C6H6O2) or Benzene-1,4-diol  and tretinoin (C20H28O2) a naturally occurring vitamin A.  Plus few other non relative chemicals.

I'll use Jet fuel instead. It's  extremely refined kerosene which burns in low temperature so evaporation is fast and collection from surface is very easy. It does amazing job eating up grease and gunk 

But again, this all will stain the piece. I normally use Jet fuel on stainless steel or other metals which could be polished!  

Message 12 of 12
latest reply