cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got some opals, need advice.

I bought a bulk of opals and I'm wondering what your advice might be. I'd maybe like to make them into one big piece of jewelry, but maybe there's a better approach. Do you think it would be best to acquire some gold and set them in that instead of a cheaper metal like silver? Maybe I should make simpler items like rings instead of a big necklace? All in all, it's going to be an investment, but there are probably better ways of turning this sort of thing around than others.

25182108_10212868144931643_1724261035522036440_o.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Got some opals, need advice.

Congratulations on your new opal collection!!!  Looks like you have some very nice stones. It's not clear what size any of these cabs are, so it's hard to make any sort of guess as to what type of jewelry would include all of the stones at once (minus the three with cracks that I can see).  If it were me, I think I'd go for a couple of necklaces or bracelets. The top stone on the right makes me think of a ring setting (or any of the other stones for that matter). The diamond shape below it would lend itself well as a pendant with some other stones to accent it.

If you have a vision for a killer multi-stone brooch or complex pendant, make some pencil drawings (plural) on tracing paper, which is easier to correct. Bounce those ideas around and give it some time to gel in your mind.

People go about buying gold in a variety of ways. You can buy pre-made settings from jewelry supplies wholesalers and then have a jeweler set the stones for you. Or you can commission an artisan to make settings for you. If you're starting from scratch, you'll need to find out the current spot price of gold (whatever karat you want). There are a few alternatives for obtaining the raw material. Again, you can get karat gold casting shot from a jewelry supply house (I used Swest for this 20 years ago -- don't know if they're still in business). You could also look at the scrap gold listings on eBay -- the price of this kind of scrap rarely goes above melt price (more or less the wholesale rate, so to speak). If you do that, pay close attention to the weights and karats listed. Each karat value will be calculated differently as to the percentage of gold involved. (I used to have a spreadsheet I could use to do the calculations but who knows what happened to it.) 

Finally, gold is sold among professionals by the penny-weight (abbreviated "dwt"). It would be a good move to find an equivalent table if buying from a seller here listing the merchandise by gram. Most auctions here do not go by penny-weight.

Sorry to be so long-winded! Opals are a true love of mine and setting them for use makes my heart sing.  Keep us posted on what you plan to do!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I set some of mine in sterling then goldwashed (electro plated).  Good solid item, affordable materials, same look on the final product.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Can you put a penny in the picture so we can get an idea of size?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I definitely will when I get home. They definitely aren't huge, but many would be great for all kinds of projects, I think.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Oh, I love them, too. Actually, I took a jewelry class in college and loved every minute of it. Sadly, my living space is small, so setting myself up with the proper equipment to make anything myself will be difficult, but I'd still like to try.

I'm not going to lie, I am mostly interested in turning this investment back around, so I have to decide on the best approach. I'm starting to think that a large number of rings might be the easiest and most fun way to approach this. Everybody loves rings. One big bracelet or brooch may not live up to their potential.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Here's the penny scale pic. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Beautiful colors on these stones. We wanna see pics of finished products!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Those are pretty good size!  Im jealous!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply