cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you see an elephant in this pin like I do?

Does anyone else see an elephant in this pin? I waffle back and forth on what it could be. Would this be called wire work or something else and from what era? Thank you for for help! I *think* it is sterling but have no way of testing it.elephpin1.jpgelephpin2.jpgelephpin3.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Do you see an elephant in this pin like I do?

Very pretty! I  see an elephant 🙂

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

yep.  with a little gazebo on his back.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

yep.  with a little gazebo on his back.

It's a Howdah.  Took me a few minutes to recall that term for the riding carriage seat placed on the back of an elephant.  I always get it confused with mahout (which is what an elephant driver is called).

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Well there's some trivia to sock away if I am ever on Jeopardy...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you all! At least now I know I'm not crazy for seeing an elephant in this pin, LOL. 😄 I'm hoping more posters will chime in with era and if this would be called wire work or something else.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

For testing the silver, just go to the local pawn shop. Most are willing to check things for you for free in hopes that you will bring them back as a silver lot or that you will eventually bring gold in to sell.
Every once in a while you get a grouch that wants to charge. Just go to another place. Or even check with a local jewelry store. Some of them will do the test for free.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Yes, I see an elephant as well. As for the era---my guess would be circa 1930's and the work looks like many pieces I've seen from that era from what was then called Siam. The country was Siam from 1851 to 1939 when it then became Thailand. Thailand was renamed Siam from 1945 until May 11, 1949, after which it again reverted to Thailand. Happy Holidays to one and all.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

Well there's some trivia to sock away if I am ever on Jeopardy...

good words for scrabble, too 🙂

Message 9 of 9
latest reply