cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could these pierced earrings be real Amethysts?

The stone itself is quite large, the setting and the backings are both 14kt gold.  I am wondering if these could be real amethysts.  They have scratches on the top which I was wondering if they are real if a gemologist could "smooth" them out.  I would not expend the money unless they were real.  Your thoughts please. The Jewelry Dealer is M.A. Green, Bank Street, Waterbury Connecticut.  P1400209.JPGP1400210.JPGP1400211.JPGP1400212.JPGP1400213.JPGP1400214.JPGP1400215.JPG

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Could these pierced earrings be real Amethysts?

As roughly 70% of my inventory is from the UK, I feel confident that these are not Blue John, but I clearly can see the striations that you see!

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

That was my initial impression, but I’d quickly defer to you, “Don #2” (that’s my mental nickname for you 🙃

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

ruby low grade.

Hmm:

Interesting looked red when first looked>

See bubbles and color bands.

So that is such still low grade stones set in a four prong mount. Purple is the color.  Oh well me eyes are not the greatest now days.

Does the color change when in sun light??

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

Thanks Don's Sister.

I re-read the Topic and see a post that says does not glow so not a form of Fluorite.

I think an Amethyst in this type of setting would most likely be very good quality which means to me that this stone with the rough look and inclusions is more likely to be a lower grade of ruby or similar expensive stone.

That said it should be seen in person by a professional.

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

When someone posts a question here,  we all give opinions.  Concerning gemstones set in precious metals,  Dream and Don have had many years experience selling so I always trust their opinions.  

With that being said,  I am a board certified rock hound.  🤣😅🤣  Holding gemstones in my hand and collecting forever,  my first thought was …..these are definitely not amethysts,  they are opaque and with amethysts being so affordable,  why wouldn’t these be top of the line,  deep,  dark,  rich purple  amethysts,  if they are set in 14k.  

I do see a bit of purple coloring,  but I see more Fuchsia ( pinkish / purple ) which does point to a lower grade ruby corundum.  Which also makes more sense here since rubies are way harder to get and expensive in clear red.  

Mermaid  

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

All though this conversation was not posted on this thread ... since it does answer the question of what the stones are.  I thought I would post it on the thread where it really belongs.  

I totally agree with Dream, it would have been nice to have this correct information posted to the appropriate thread and therefore not leave everyone who took the time to offer their opinion hanging. 

They were rubies - not high quality - I paid   very little for them along with several other 14kt gold items.  I think I spent like 13.00 that day.  I sold them for a 100.00 to a  friend of mine who was going to send them to his daughter's shop in NYC.  He said she will get 2-3 hundred for them.  So I was quite happy.  And they will make some money on them too.  

Message 3 of 10

0 Helpful

New Bracelets any thought on what company the cursive T represents

Thank you, but it would have been nice to come back here with the results as some of us were waiting on the outcome.  I hope you understand that you accepted the first guess that came along as a solution, and people looking at that thread will think they're amethysts.  This could have been avoided if you had had the stones checked before asking opinions.  

I strongly suspected they were low quality rubies because I've sold many of them, and they're all over the home shopping clubs.  They looked nothing like amethysts, but when you ask for opinions here, please be sure the answer you mark as a solution is correct.  Otherwise, they remain opinions.

We appreciate helping, but we also like to hear that the poster has exhausted several avenues of research before asking a question that could have been answered with a little effort.  

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 36 of 40
latest reply

I still think they are fissure filled ruby. I havent seen amethyst that are cloudy like those. Good luck

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

What is strange to me is I read Rubies with be florescent. Not sure if that only means natural Rubies? Or I got ahold of some bad info.

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

Hi, these are ruby corundum, - I get alot of it in beads, does not fluoresce.  Possibly because of the glass fill, and other treatments they give it.  or if you look up corundum, it says may or may not fluoresce. 

High quality corundum is the beautiful expensive ruby and sapphire, while the lower grades are are used for everything down to sandpaper and emery boards.

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

@old.crows.nest wrote:

What is strange to me is I read Rubies with be florescent. Not sure if that only means natural Rubies? Or I got ahold of some bad info.

Bad info; not all do.... synesthetic ones usually do:

Message 40 of 40
latest reply