cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cinnebar and ? Vintage Necklace Help

Whenever a friend of mine gives me things to sell it's always an adventure.  After untangling a large glob of necklaces, this one looked interesting. Now, I know the one bead to be Cinnebar.    I thinking the round ones are Carnelian and the tube ones Coral.  Anyone else think the same?  I know they are not glass for 100% sure.  I'm not sure what the discs are.  They're a little too red to be carnelian, IMO, and I really don't think they're glass.   I also have no clue about the long beads.  I thought glass at first, but, they're not.  They're a polished stone.  I just don't know what kind.  Maybe some kind of Agate?  Thanks for any help!

cinnebar1.jpgcinnebar2.jpgcinnebar3.jpg

Cheryl
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The coral looks like glass to me.  The carnelian too.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

They're not glass.    I looked through a high powered loupe and definitely not glass.  Now, the round transluscent red ones are glass.  All Lisa knows is that it came back from somewhere in Asia with her father years ago (along with a jade piece she gave me).  That's why I was thinking Carnelian and Coral.

Cheryl
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

The long ones are definitely some type of agate. I am not knowledgeable enough about the rest, but those, I'm sure of.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Tubes are Agate.   I agree w/everything.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, everyone!  The tubes look like Chinese Rain Flower Agates.  But, it's difficult to tell for sure.

Cheryl
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

My birthstone is diamond. I would have taken any opal or agate over the overrated diamond - they have so much going on and are prettier to me.

"Free" shipping is like "free" kittens. Ain't no such thing.
eBay buyer and seller since January, 1998 - Former member of the "Answer Center Irregulars"....In memory of flowerpot.4
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello , 

Its always hard to be sure when looking at a photo , but here are some thoughts . The " carnelian " beads don't have the usual mild translucency that I associate with carnelian . The " coral " one looks like the powdered or textured glass beads similiar to African trade beads . The long beads do look like some sort of agate and I love the color in these . 

This is the time when we all wish we had a presidium gem tester . I know a few here on the boards own them and I myself have been helped in the past . Just a thought . Is there anyone you know that could test them for you , maybe a jeweler or friend ? It's a pretty necklace . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 8 of 8
latest reply