cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone tell me what these natural stones are?

I am selling for my nephew a lot of jewelry acquired by a lady who was a true hoarder, passed away at 100.  She had a boat load of jewelry and a fondness for natural stone.  Can anyone help identify what this necklace is.  So far i have found carnelian, lapis, rose quartz, rock crystal, but I am unsure of what these are other than the amethyst.  I have even found flourite, I think 🙂

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Can anyone tell me what these natural stones are?

Please double check your listings for accuracy.  Understanding the terms you are using will greatly effect the accuracy of your listings. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

i dont know what you are referring to flipping treasures

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

You might check out what a pool of light necklace really is and the difference between Navajo and Lakota to start with.  Knowing the right terms to use and when makes a big difference in the accracey of a listing. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Actually i do know exactly what a pools of light necklace is, which is why it is in my listing for rock crystal to attract those who like rock crystal.  Hmmm, not liking your tone. Been in the jewelry business for a long, long, time, just not up on some of the natural gems.  My expertise is not in that field.  But thanks for your 2 cents rather than answering the question i posted for. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Sorry, I was taught that drilled rock crystal beads or even faceted rock crystals beads are not pools of light.  Most collectors I know also have a problem with people calling drilled or faceted rock crystal pieces, pools of light, but then they are purest when in comes to Pools Of Light pieces.  

As for your ability to read tones in what is posted here that is a really good trick.  I have found that the majority of time when someone reads a tone in a posting it is because that is what THEY want the tone to be, for whatever their reason.

As for identifying the green stones in the above necklace it is almost impossible from a picture.  They could be any number of different stones and without holding them in hand or testing them it is only a guess at best.  Just like the purple stones you have in the necklace could be any number of stones besides amethysts.

Since you have been in the jewelry business for a long, long time I am surprised that you don't understand the difference between a Navajo artisan and a Lakota artisan and the rules involved in correctly listing Native American pieces here.  Sorry you didn't appreciate the help.  Glad to see that you corrected the title. 

Sorry, if you don't like my "tone", but since I saw you hadn't done a great deal of listing under this ID I thought I would try and help you.  Sorry, I'll take my "tone" and leave you to your own devises.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Your necklaces are not Pools of Light. True POL are never drilled, they are orbs that are circled by a base metal, usually sterling silver.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

"which is why it is in my listing for rock crystal to attract those who like rock crystal."

If you know these are not true POL, then using that term in your titles, to attract the attention of buyers who search for it, is called Keyword Spamming and is a no-no on eBay.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Just to put in the last word, the necklace shown in the first post is fluorite chip beads.  It's probably 1980s or later; fluorite isn't worth much. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Thanks everyone, boy been gone from ebay for a while.  My how things have changed.  These boards used to be a good place to look for help.  For those of you who actually tried to help identify the stones, thank you.  Your help is appreciated.  If someone posts to these boards looking for help on a piece of jewelry, I would expect help hopefully with what they are asking for help with rather than what I got here.  I asked for help and got "check your listings for accuracy" with no additional information, just that generalized statement, and then it went on from there.  Such a shame.  This used to be a valued tool for ebay users. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

You have over 1000 feedback.  You have been in the jewelry business for "a long, long time".  You apparently know how to draw interest to your listings and don't seem to be too concerned about how you do it.  Since I wasn't sure if you actually knew that the terms and miss identification of the tribal information you had posted in your listings was on purpose or by accident I thought I would just see.  You see I don't like to waste my time or energy trying to help someone that really doesn't want help.  I can't or won't patrol eBay for keyword spamming, but I most definately will and do control who I offer help to based on what I see and the "tones" used by those asking for help.

As for this board, it is still a valuable tool for eBay users and is used everyday for help.  But as with any tool, you need to know how to use it to get the full benefit of it.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@worksofartonlyold wrote:

Thanks everyone, boy been gone from ebay for a while.  My how things have changed.  These boards used to be a good place to look for help.  For those of you who actually tried to help identify the stones, thank you.  Your help is appreciated.  If someone posts to these boards looking for help on a piece of jewelry, I would expect help hopefully with what they are asking for help with rather than what I got here.  I asked for help and got "check your listings for accuracy" with no additional information, just that generalized statement, and then it went on from there.  Such a shame.  This used to be a valued tool for ebay users. 

These Boards are pretty much the same as they have been for as long as I have been posting on them.

Boardies have concerned themselves with the actual question plus looking at the listings of the one asking the question. That has not changed. One of the main reasons to look is to see if the question is about a currently running listing so more information might be obtained with regards to the question. Once there it is hard to miss seeing listings that might also be in need of advise. Those of us (Buyers and Sellers) who post here feel strongly about search manipulation through keyword spamming, it has always been like that! It is not something that has happened recently.

(As a side note I also see Florite Chips as the stone in this necklace.)

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

They seem to be tumbled chips of inexpensive minerals, flourite being one of them.

As for the suggestion to review the information in the listings, well, if the op doesn't want to change them, I guess that it up to them, however, if those necklaces sell for a fraction of the price, it will be surprising. 

I suppose that anyone can call anything what they want to, and hope that someone might be interested in buying them.  Seems like a waste of time and effort to me, but what do I know!

And, yes, keyword spamming is an issue, but as soon as anyone who knows the product that they are looking for is not actually what is being sold...well...they will not buy them. 

You know what they say, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!"

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yup! And it isn't like Buyers can control their search results anymore anyway 😉
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

As you ladies have said, this seller can list their items any way the want to.  If they want to call gold plating gold or their rock crystal quartz, diamonds they can, it is their listing.  Personally, I don't care one way or another.  HOWEVER, with that being said, I do care that when someone offers them sound and truthful advice and they came back condemning not only the person offering the advice, but the board in general.  Because no matter what they say or who agrees with them, the bracelet that is now listed as Lakota was first listed as Navajo (more people looking for signed Navajo pieces than Lakota?) and the items they have listed as pools of light are not.  And whether anyone likes it or not ... that is the truth of the matter.  And I'm not afraid to say so, just the kind of gal I am.Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 15
latest reply