cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any thoughts on this brooch/pin pendant?

I found this at a church sale this morning. I'm sure it's old but don't know how old. I'm fairly sure it's gold. I'm not familiar with jewelry with a closed back. I'm thinking the stones are sugarloaf emeralds. Any thoughts appreciated.

DSCN0558.JPGDSCN0557.JPG

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Any thoughts on this brooch/pin pendant?

Heard back from Sotheby's. "...Please note that Sotheby's adheres to specific guidelines that ensure we accept items we have both the expertise on and the market to sell..." So it's a reject. They provided no other information. Oh well. Another item for my estate sale when the time comes. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Great job finding it. Now I wonder what it went for.  😉

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

That looks very valuable. You want to make sure yours is not a replica or something like that.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Thanks again. Here's the original 1862 Catalog page.

https://archive.org/details/artjournalillust00inte/page/222/mode/2up

(Hope it works.)

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

It works. Awesome.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Amazing brooch!  That's a tremendous find!  Congratulations!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Gorgeous Cross 💚

Found this ...

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/400609329335516130/

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for all the help. I've had no success finding the auction results. I'll be contacting Sotheby's and will report any more info.

I always have a hard time understanding how some really good stuff gets given to church sales. This pin didn't even make it into the Treasures room. It was on a wall of necklaces on a nice gold-filled chain with the other not treasures jewelry, scarves and purses. Go figure. As I told the sweet woman manning the jewelry that she had better stuff than the Treasure room.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Wow, church sales are the best aren’t they? 😄 How exciting! Please keep us updated on Sotheby’s response.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I have found that the really good stuff that gets past the Checkers is unmarked or has European Hallmarks. I have also bought some good stuff that was dirty (sometimes dang filthy) or had minor damages. Those checking sometimes don't understand that gold can tarnish and think the piece is brass.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I've hit a few home runs that way too, but these days just try finding a church sale to check.  There aren't any.  At least somebody's finding something!

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Love it when I stumble upon gold treasures on GF chains…that GF mark possibly led the folks running the sale to assume that the whole piece was GF!  😎

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Heard back from Sotheby's. "...Please note that Sotheby's adheres to specific guidelines that ensure we accept items we have both the expertise on and the market to sell..." So it's a reject. They provided no other information. Oh well. Another item for my estate sale when the time comes. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply