cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas what this might have been for?

DSC06475.JPGDSC06476.JPGDSC06477.JPGI bought this in a damaged lot to get another brooch. Most of the brooches aren't damaged but this on has me puzzled. It is 2" long and weighs 19.3 grams. I haven't had it tested but am pretty sure it is just brass. No marks of any kind. What is confusing me is what the gift box was for. As you can see in the photos it screws off and is a pretty good size. I thought at first it was to carry emergency dimes in for the pay phones but it is just slightly to small. You can't put a dime in and close it. I even checked to see if the mercury dimes were smaller than the modern ones. They are both the same size, so that ruled that out. Any ideas from anyone? I have looked online and couldn't find another one.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Any ideas what this might have been for?

Sachet or poison box.

That's an oldie.

Diane

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Could be a few things.  In the past 10 years or so there is a trend for jewelry that opens that people can put little notes in, wishes and that sort of thing.  Could also hold hair from a child or loved one...  or even a needed med like nitro..although that wouldn't be the best container for that.  Can be so many things.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

For pills? To keep from having to dig around in a purse or reticule if it was emergency? Just guessing.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Look at all the listings for vintage poison box lockets and see if you think that may be what you have.

Diane

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Saccharin tablets?  Ladies used to carry them and they made little boxes and containers to hold them.  Nasty stuff, but it made for some cute little boxes and holder bits like this.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 6
latest reply