cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I paranoid or does my postlady dislike me?

I had a small padded envelope clipped to where we usually clip letters for outgoing mail on our mailbox. 

The mail hadn't come yet, I checked with my family and the mail box was empty. I clipped the envelope to the mailbox and later my mother tells me that I missed the postman because my enevelope is still there and we got our mail.

About a week ago, my father said she was complaining about picking up my packages because she can't bend over. I usually leave a note on the mailbox and ask for packages to be picked up by the door and always write thank you. After she complained, my dad put a wooden box under our mailbox so she doesn't have to bend all the way down.  The packages I can't clip to the mailbox are never heavier than a few pounds and I haven't mailed a box sized item in awhile.

I don't know if I'm sounding paranoid but I feel like she deliberately didn't pick up my package and just left our mail. I mean, I checked with my family, mail hadn't arrived, I looked in the box, it was empty, and clipped it on there. 

I have been sending out a lot of envelopes lately of jewelry but it's not like a truck load. 

Yes, I can just drive to the post office but I am wondering if she has something against me and if this will turn into a reoccuring issue. 

Has anything like this ever happened to any of you? Is it not okay to clip padded envelopes to the your mailbox like when you mail out bills and what not? 

I've been mailing items like this for 10 years and none of my previous post man/woman had an issue with it. 

Thoughts? 

EDIT: And not to sound insensitive, but isn't it a job requirement to be able to life a certain amount of weight of packages if you're a postal carrier? 

Maybe we have a package coming and they're going to come back with it and pick it up then? I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt. It was very small though. 

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

It sounds like she is a snarky piece of work. Can't do it indeed! There is a certain amount of lifting that they are required to be able to do.

My daughter is a postmaster, I will ask her later today when I hear from her. At the very least, they are supposed to give you a reason that your package was left.

You may have to get your postmaster to sort this out for you. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Diane

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Just curious ? Do you print your labels online and schedule a pickup ?

If you do , she has to take them it's her job . There is even an option where she would have to get out of her car and come ring your door bell to pick up the package . There also is an option where you can leave them on your front porch .

Everyone I know that has trouble with the post person not picking up their packages , does not schedule the pick up . If you just print the label and put them outside , I don't think they are required to pick them up . Doesn't make sense I know but I have learned this lesson myself .

It's so lame that your dad even made it easier on her and she is still giving you grief . Aye yai yai !

Mermaid 🐳
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

I don't do the scheduled pick ups anymore but none of the previous carriers have complained. I try to ship quickly, meaning day of payment if the mail hasn't come yet or the next day, so scheduling isn't my thing.

But they've never complaind before. So they aren't required to pick it up even if it's just a small padded envelope? After 10 years, I've never had this problem. If I have to drop off packages myself that's fine I guess, I just don't understand why it's a big deal to pick up a few small padded envelopes and why that's changed after 10 years of selling.

I did just get back from dropping off the envelope. Should I call them and ask them about my carrier and if this (not picking up small padded envelopes) will be something that will continue or I am not allowed to do?

Edit: Yes, I print my labels online.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

I know I know . Most of the carriers are fine with it but every once in a while you get a cranky one . We will see what Diane's DIL says , but I'm pretty sure they are not required to pick up first class parcels ( which is what most small envelopes are ) .

I would suggest asking her first why she didn't pick it uo . if you are not happy with her answer , I would suggest calling her supervisor . I have heard sometimes that helps .

Sorry you are having to deal with a grumpy employee . I know how frustrating it can be . I used to live somewhere where the carriers had no problem just taking my packages . Then I moved and the new carrier would not pick them up unless I scheduled them . Now I schedule them and I have NO PROBLEMS . I did feel like she hated me for awhile . Now we are cool .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 5 of 35
latest reply

That just doesn't seem right, mel.  Like you say, a small first class package is hardly larger than a piece of first class mail.  When I print a label, the only time I can schedule a pick-up is if it is a Priority package.  I'm not able to schedule pick-ups for just first class packages unless they're scheduled along with a Priority package.  I tip my mail carrier heavily at Christmas and we've gotten to know each other pretty well, so I haven't had many problems.  I also have the largest mailbox you can imagine, and I can fit even large Priority boxes in it with room to spare Smiley Very Happy.  I hope you dropped it off in time and ebay doesn't ding you for this.  A call or visit to your Post Office might be in order.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@ifmelfalls wrote:

I don't do the scheduled pick ups anymore but none of the previous carriers have complained. I try to ship quickly, meaning day of payment if the mail hasn't come yet or the next day, so scheduling isn't my thing.

But they've never complaind before. So they aren't required to pick it up even if it's just a small padded envelope? After 10 years, I've never had this problem. If I have to drop off packages myself that's fine I guess, I just don't understand why it's a big deal to pick up a few small padded envelopes and why that's changed after 10 years of selling.

I did just get back from dropping off the envelope. Should I call them and ask them about my carrier and if this (not picking up small padded envelopes) will be something that will continue or I am not allowed to do?

Edit: Yes, I print my labels online.

It's not a matter of them being cranky. I am good friends with our local post master and we talked about the scheduled pickups at length here are the facts he told me.

All postal carriers are timed and paid by the stop, they are allowed 30 seconds per stop unless a pickup is scheduled. If they do not meet the 30 second rule they can be written up, demoted or fired. They are allowed additional time when a pickup is scheduled of 15 seconds per package and they are paid  extra when the packages go over an amount  that I cannot remember.

With the current budget problems the PO is having they are audited ever 2 years for the performance of the actual PO and each employee. This is where they decided which POs to close, cut hours or cut employees. So a package once in a while is no big deal, but when it is an eBay seller it can mean  the loss of a job or more.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

I would try to speak to her first.

My husband is a retired postmaster- she should be picking up the packages whether you scheduled a pick up or not.  If you speak to her and the problem persists, speak to your postmaster.  

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Hi! Just getting back!

My daughter said the same thing as the OP. She should be picking up your parcel. She said the mail carriers that work out of her PO would not dream of treating someone like that...you have too many shipping choices to alienate customers.

If you can catch her on her next route, maybe you could talk to her, if that is not possible, I would definitely talk to her PM.

Good luck!

Diane

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

I ship quite a few padded envelopes from home. I print the first class label online and put them in my mail box with the flag up. They always get picked up no problem. The only time I ever request a pick up is if I have a box going Priority, and then I have to have at least two pieces going out to request a pick up.

Anyway, for first class padded envelopes, they should pick those up at your mail box without you requesting a scheduled pick up. Sounds like your mail carrier is cranky!

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

This thread has been interesting . Everyone has a different experience which may change if you move or new postal employees start .

So to recap ...

Try talking to her first .
Then her boss .

Let us know how it went with an update .

Good Luck !

Mermaid 🐳
Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Thank you all for your information and expierences on this matter. 

90% of my out going mail is about double the size of bill. I don't really see how that could interefere with any time they have scheduled unless you're not allowed to mail out bills anymore from your home as well?  My dad has done that every week for the past 30+ years and they're always picked up. 

I ended up driving it to the post office before closing time but I'm not sure if it was scanned or processed in time, which sucks. I can look that up but it's 12:30 and I'm exhausted.

I think I am going to continue to mail items like I have and if this happens again, I will try to find her in our neighborhood while doing her route or contact a superior if all else fails.  

I'm just trying to make money to go back to school and I have so much on my plate and so little time every day and summer is slow witth sales as it is and I used to be a top rated powereller and I'm trying to get back up there while planning on applying for a university and ughhhhhh. It just feels like one thing after the other when it comes to selling on eBay these days and I never used to have all of these issues. eBay used to pay my bills and pay for some of my education and I'm just frustrated that now I have to worry that my packages may not be picked up like they used to and ughhh. I'm probably (most likely) over-reacting. I'm just so stressed as it is.

edit: I'm sorry for the personal rant and run on sentences. It's nearly 1 AM and I need to go to bed. 

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

I understand Mel, I used ebay to help pay for school too. 

As for the carrier not being able to bend, she must have someone else to sort and stack her mail then, and move it into her car.  My mother was a mail carrier for years and every morning required lifting large cases of mail.  Coourse when she retired she still had the bones of an 18 year old so something good came out of all that exercise!

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Could be both? 😎
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

As was previously posted, scheduled pick-up is only available with Priority but I leave 1st class padded envelopes in my mailbox for pick-up all the time and if my carrier delivers mail, he will take it with him.

I think your carrier is either a lazy B or very passive aggressive.

Personally, I would call the PO she works from and speak with her supervisor and ask if it's possible to have outgoing mail picked up if it's not any heavier than a pack of gum, same as a letter.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply