cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little help from our rock hounds is requested. Pic heavy

I bought a bag from Ill Will for the beads and found these in them. It appears to be someones jewelry making leftovers. While I don't think most of it is anything there are two pieces that are curious. I shot them all just incase I missed something. 

The first curious one is a small pendant just over 1/2" long. It is clear if you look from the side. Green if you look at it in shadow and pink if exposed to sunlight.

toptopsunlight.sunlight.

Second one didn't take as well on the pictures. It reminds me of a butterfly wing with the iridescents and has some fissures but is definitely stone.

Large bottom middle stone.Large bottom middle stone.in sunlight.in sunlight.

This is a picture of all of them.  I tested the outside metal. Even though one is marked 925 all of them failed the scratch test.

102_3998.JPG

Right at this moment I am contemplating just throwing the pendants into a lot and trashing the rest. But will wait til I hear from someone who knows more than I do.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: A little help from our rock hounds is requested. Pic heavy

I'm no rockhound, but my guess would be color changing faux Alexandrite on the first, and Labradorite or Florite on the second.  Here's a pic of faux Alexandrite in 2 different lights.  Natural Alexandrite is very rare and the color change isn't as extreme as the faux.  I think you did very well on the pendants!

fauxalexandrite.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I would agree with Dream.   If the second one is not fluorite,  it kinda also looks like it could be labradorite.  

Mermaid 🐳

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Tsavorite clear color change nd flourite iridescent. You also got some nice topaz blue and yellow, amber, amethyst and moonstone. Theres some blue millifiore glass far right too.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I'd run those under a blacklight an see if anything lights up.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I will have to remember to pick up a black light. I keep meaning to and keep forgetting. I tend to be absent minded on things I won't use everyday.

Rixstuff, the begining of your message sounds like me on my migraine medicine. I think the computer jumbled your words on the first sentence and they didn't come thru right.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Don't know about the first, but the second looks like laborite to me.

Look up Black light flashlight.  I have one and a regular black light, but like the flash light the best.  It is easier to use for just a quick look see.  I use the larger black light for pictures, but only after checking the item with the flash light first.  I got mine at Harbor Freight but I think Lowes cares them too.  You can get them on line as well.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Just ordered the blacklight and a light box. Everything is sold out locally and I had to resort to the amazaon. Both should be here Sat. Now the question. I know that amber should glow but what else would I be looking for?
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

There are quite a few.

https://geology.com/articles/fluorescent-minerals/

Don't for get that here are some glasses that fluorescent too.  

https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/vaseline.htm

and yes, there was a time that rhinestones were made from these glasses.

Some examples I have ran across.

sulphure glass - fluorescent orangesulphure glass - fluorescent orangeUranium glass - from green to fluorescent greenUranium glass - from green to fluorescent greenAlso uranium glass, better known as vaseline glass - from yellow to fluorescent greenAlso uranium glass, better known as vaseline glass - from yellow to fluorescent green

Hope this helps.

If anyone ever gets to Branson Missouri, there is a little town called Golden right out side of Branson that has a big museum that has collections of many things, but their fluorescent rocks will knock your socks off.  So worth a trip.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=golden+museum+missouri&qs=SC&pq=golden+muesum&sk=SC2&sc=8-13&cvid=046C...

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I 💚 lighting up the Vaseline glass in thrifts and antique stores.  I keep my flashlight in my purse,  but I would super 💚 stumbling across some uranium jewelry!!! That is something I’ve never seen in the wild YET!!!

Mermaid 🐳

Message 10 of 10
latest reply