cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions before I list Mexican bracelet and Toledo Spain??

sterling 043.JPGsterling 046.JPG

This is not marked and I keep thinking it looks like the stuff from Toledo Spain  The slats feel like plastic or something like that   What keywords could I use  Any idea on age or style of bracelet?  

new 004.JPGnew 006.JPG

new 007.JPG

This is marked silver Mexico which kinda worries me  What kind of silver?  Era, style and keyword help wpuld be much appreciated 

Thank you guys  Hope everyone had a great weekend 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

^^
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

There are two categories of Spanish Toledo jewelry. One category uses gold inlay in naturalistic motifs against a black background, very similar to Japanese damascene jewelry.

The other category displays Moorish / Islamic influences in scrolling lines and patterns, sometimes using plastic inserts that imitate mother of pearl. I believe your first bracelet is in this category.

I'm not surprised it's not marked. Most Spanish Toledo ware was sold with "Made in Spain" hanging tags. Sometimes it's marked "Spain". Once familiar with this jewelry, like anything else, it gets easier to identify.

Regarding your second bracelet: I wouldn't be concerned it's marked Mexico Sterling. That's an early mark that predates the late 1940s. I think you should test the metal, both the panels and bar links, to make sure it's all sterling. I would guess by the mark that it is, and you may even find that the silver content is higher than 925. 950 was more commonly used when it was made. This is a beautiful design - one of my favorites. I have two in my collection now. One of them made later than yours, has sterling silver panels but the bar links connecting them are a silver alloy. The other one is solid. It also has an early mark.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

What kinda concerns me is there are rust like spots on the slate of the Mexican bracelet. I think they are on top and not corrosion but I was worried about how to remove them or if I even should. Thank you for all of your help

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Those Mexican (Aztec design) bracelets are iffy.  I have two as well.  I have one that my Grandmother bought at a church yardsale in New York in the late 1930s, and it is sterling silver. The second one is also sterling, but it is much lighter weight.  The earlier one has thick, heavier bars, and the new one has thin bars.  I would guess that the newer one is mid century.  If yours has the thin bars (it looks like that), it's newer.  I've been told repeatedly that all of those are newer, from the 1960s and are marked silver but not sterling.  I know that's not quite so, because mine are sterling.  My older one is not marked at all if I recall but a single digit number.  The other is marked Sterling Mexico.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

The bars are thin Should I try to clean it?

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I found the Spain mark!

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

They sure are. It's good to have both in hand to compare how they look and feel.  When I received my second one by mail, I held it to a magnet and it pulled. Thinking I'd been duped by seller for stating it was sterling silver and feeling disappointed, I put it aside. Later my son noticed that only the links pulled not the panels, so he tested with acid. We found that the panels were indeed sterling silver, he has had lots of experience doing this, but links were not, They were also real thin - of the recent variety you mention. This made me feel better. It may have been an honest mistake by seller. Looks like mine was reassembled, panels look old with newer bar links. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Corrosion would indicate a plated base metal and cleaning will not remove it. If the mark is not caused by corrosion, what works for me is to spray a bit of WD-40 onto a soft cloth, then apply it by cloth just on the spot. If it's a topical stain the oil will soften it, and a couple of rubs will remove it completely. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I have this bracelet too but mine is marked Alpaca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down.
Wilson Mizner
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Alpaca was the word I thought might be missing from the top. There is no evidence of any other word but maybe they didn't strike it right

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I'm going to try the WD-40 because it does look like it is a spot on top Thank you

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I'm sorry. I could not make anything out of the mark from the angle, but I thought you said it was marked silver mexico in your first post. It will not pass the magnet test if you think it says Alpaca. Good luck with both. I think they are beautiful.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

are you sure that is rust? my panels all have a slight brownish tint to them

il_570xN.609896020_tm4b.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down.
Wilson Mizner
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Yes, it just says Silver Mexico I was worried the Alpaca stamp did not make it onto the bracelet The whole bracelet passes the magnet test

Message 15 of 17
latest reply