cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A different duette ?

Good morning Joolies ,

I'm sure I should know the answer but I'm stumped . I have seen the duette pins where one pin becomes two dress clips or fur clips . When I slide this one apart I do not understand what it's for . It doesn't seem to become two and does not look like it's missing any parts . I know this is the best place to come for jewelry knowledge .  Please help me shed light on this mystery . 

Thanks everyone . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

A different duette ?

2 more

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

Hi Mermaid,

I just brought back - my  first question - from Auust. - I thought it might help. I hope we get all the answers here. Yours is the first one I have seen like mine.

Re:Looks like Rhinestone Duette Dress Clip Brooch - NOT - Help

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

Maybe they can slide onto a watch band for a different/dressier look?  Trying to think what type of ladies bands wold have been back then..leather? 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

New , 

How did you get the second piece off ? Was there a trick ? 

Mermaid🐳

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

Mesh bands were popular back then, maybe they slid onto one of those ?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

Mermaid,

I don't remember doing anything but pulling and they both came off. I probably had to pull hard. I put mine away until I could find out more about it; but I am going to get it back out (if I can find it because I have a bunch put away for now)  - in case there are other questions.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

Sarah and Calico both good guesses . Do y'all think this dates from the late 1920's - 1930's ? 

Mine me does not seem to want to pull apart on both sides . Hmmmmmm it was interesting to see New's in 2 pieces .

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

Mermaid, dress clips were popular up through the 50's and a few companies made them longer than that. I would date these to the 40's give or take.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

Mermaid,

I did find mine and pulled both ends off. When I pulled on both ends one end came off. It is hard to get a good grip on the end where the one came off so I can pull hard enough to get the other end off. It is also hard to push them back on. Yours will probably come off and is just stuck because it is old.

New

(I kind of like that name because I am OLD - thanks Mermaid)

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

New , 

Dahling I would never call you old . Classic , vintage , or OG 😂 LoL !!! But never Old !!! 

I will play with mine some more . Your probably right , it's just stuck . The one side came off and slides on very easy , smooth as silk . 

Calico , That makes more sense . Just has that classic Deco look , but that style is always popular . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

How about a bracelet.  See here: http://imageevent.com/flippingtreasures/jewelrystyles/braceletstyles?z=2&l=0&c=4&n=1&m=-1&w=4&x=0&p=...

Picture 39.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

Sandy , 

Thank you . Some mentioned that it might be for a bracelet or a watch band , but it's always good to lay your eyes on a picture of a similliar one for visualization . Very nice . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

I saw two or three like that but they look like for "dress"clips with the cut out in the middle of the bracelet for them to go through. It would have to be something ours would "slide" on to. I am wondering if a bracelet was or would have been especially made for the pin. It is hard for me to picture a bracelet ours would slide on to.

Since ours only says "PAT PEND", I am wondering if it fell through and there was never a bracelet made for it. BUT looks like it would have been made with the pin. Maybe someone had a great idea but it didn't work since there were not bracelets it would fit on. Somehow, I can't picture a nice brooch like this on a leather or mesh bracelet - or how that would work.

IMG_3148.JPG

Anyway, I am just "thinking" on paper.Smiley Wink

New

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

A different duette ?

Just looked at the picture of the bracelet again. That does't mention a brooch. Sounds like that was a bracelet made with dress clips. Again, "thinking" on paper.

And of course, thanks to all for the suggestions and help. I was so excited when I saw Mermaid had one like mine!!!

New

Message 15 of 15
latest reply