cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like Rhinestone Duette Dress Clip Brooch - NOT - Help

My first question and quick pictures. Any help appreciated - with everything. Smiley Happy

The way this is made, it would have never had clips. I don't understand why it was made this way since it doesn't seem to serve a purpose!! Only markings I see are PAT. PEND. on all three pieces; no numbers. The stones are all there but some darker than others. What is it? Why, etc? I tried researching several months ago and found nothing.

IMG_3145.JPGIMG_3147.JPGIMG_3148.JPGIMG_3149.JPG

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Pic showing the back of the 2 clips is too small to see what you are referring to.  Are the clips missing or broken? 

This originally would have been able to be worn as the complete brooch or wear to 2 smaller clips separately. Can you post a bit larger pic of the back of the 2 clips? 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thanks. Just don't think there were ever clips there. And does't look like something was there and came off or was taken off and it doesn't look like there would have been room for the clips. Hope this makes sense.

Wondering if there is a reason it was made like this, since I don't think they would have ever function as dress clips. First thought it might be a prototype (sp?) but why not make with clips.

I am afraid of my pictures being too large Smiley Very Happy

IMG_3148.JPG

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

This was in with a lot of other brooches, I purchases for a small price, a few months ago - but I had not looked closely and thought it was a duette because it "looked" like one. When I started to take pictures I realized there were no clips. I have a duette brooch I got before this brooch and tried to do a lot of research on it. After I realized this brooch wasn't a duette, I started looking for faux, look-a-like, etc. Found nothing and I still don't know how to list it, if I do. lol
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

That pic is much better, thank you! Cat Very Happy  

Now I`m totally stumped tho!  Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

What I am thinking is that this was convertible to maybe a Bracelet where the pieces would slide onto something on the Bracelet or fur or dress clip parts slid down the same channels the Brooch Assembly came out of?
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Kinda what I was thinking, crow..that maybe they 'slid 'onto a sash or  belt, or something..but don`t see what would hold em on. 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Look here under clips http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/JewelChatFindings.html at the Coro green rhinestone with green baguettes.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Am I seeing then, the clip mechanisms gone from New`s individual clips? or am I missing something else 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I still can't be sure if the clips are missing or if these were made to fit say a bracelet.  I know that Coro did a couple of bracelet/duette pieces.  If this were mine I would start with the patent number that is on the pin mechanism and then the information that is on the clips themselves.  I think those numbers will lead to more information.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I am sorry I have been away for a while. I had a reply all ready to go and lost it.

Thanks, Flipping_Treasures. I saw that but also saw this - illusionjewels.com/dressclips.html 

Researching Costume Jewelry

Clip-mates, Duettes, Dress Clips, and Double-pronged Clips

- way down the page under - "Other Frame Clips", “3 pieces marked Pat. Pend”  . They don't have clips and it does not say what Other Frame Clips, were used for. These do look like the frame and the backs of my other two pieces.

I also just noticed that the last picture on that page says "Bracelet with two dress clips". It doesn't look like a bracelet to me and I don't see how it could be made into one. BUT maybe the other responders were on to something.

I don't see how there could have ever been clips on my two pieces and there are no marks other than PAT. PEND.

Thanks to everyone for responding.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Here is a larger picture of the back when closed.

IMG_3147.JPG

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Here is a larger picture of the front.

IMG_3145.JPG

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

If this were for a Bracelet there would be a piece soldered to the bracelet that would hold the clips on like they are held onto this brooch frame. They are convertible anyway so using that to research a patent might help?
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Thanks, Old Crow - I will keep looking with that info.

I had never heard of the "bracelet"  until you and Sarah mentioned that yesterday. I did try to look a llttle last night and so far the couple of bracelets I found looked like they were made like the dress clips so they clipped on to the bracelet. So I just need to find one where they would slide on.

Still hoping someone can tell me more. Anyway, it is a pretty brooch like it is. I would just like to be able to explain why it is made that way. And why no clips.

Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
latest reply