cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 rings help please

HI again,

I have 2 more rings that I need help with. . One is an opal and 14k the opal is huge! I seen prices on ebay some are for a couple of hundred dollars and some are a thousand dollars. What is the difference? Also have this blue ring and on my tester it tested as tanzanite. There are two stones on the side that tested for diamonds, on the inside of the shank it reads: 0 % irid Plat. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_5537.JPGIMG_5540.JPGIMG_5541.JPG

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

2 rings help please

I had a platinum watch that I gave to my sister.  It was marked 10% irid. plat.  I researched platinum jewelry and found that iridium is alloyed with platinum in jewelry.  Maybe the 1 wore off of the 10 in your marking.  I would venture to guess that ring with the blue stone has a platinum setting.  The stone looks like a Swiss blue topaz to me.....  The finish doesn't have the "warmth" of gold patina, so I vote platinum.

Sorry, I can't help with the opal.  handle it with care!

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

My first thought was aquamarine, but tanzanite is between a 6.5 and 7 on the Mohs scale.  Aquamarine is a 7.5-8.  Topaz is on the high end of that scale too.  Apatite is a lot softer.  Tourmaline runs somewhere in the middle, but I'm not sure of the color.  The setting on the blue stone is platinum or wants to be. 

Short form is, you've got me on the blue stone. 

But just in case: http://www.gia.edu/tourmaline-quality-factor  (GIA webpage - nothing for sale)

As for opals, all I know is the darker and the more play of color the better.  There are or were some hard core opal folks around. Maybe one of them will pipe up and keep me from making a fool of myself. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

Thank you, for your answers. I checked the shank again to see if maybe there was a 1 that faded, no faded 1. I see what you mean about taking care with the opal it does have a hairline crack by the shank. Evelyb, thanks for the website I will check it out! I really have a limited knowledge on these rings and appreciate any input given.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

Key in iridium platinum ring in the ebay search and you will see some hallmarks.  

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

I looked at the hallmarks, so...is there no such hallmark as a 0% Irid hallmark?

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

Definitely not Tanzanite I vote Topaz too but in platinum maybe it's a very high quality aquamarine???
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

Read this Very informative

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0294-platinum-jewelry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

If the ring was sized the first part of the mark may have been obscured.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

Read the article gauntgems, informative. I retested the blue stone and it goes to the far end of the tanzanite bar?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

I will take these rings to a jeweler and let everyone know what I have found out.  The ring does not look like it has been resized but anything is possible! The lady that owned these rings was well off at one time and was a traveler.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

Yeah but that bar also reads aqua. right? You may need to calibrate your tester Presidium?

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

Your right! off to calibrate the tester! I forgot to add I don't think the ring was sized because there was a ring guard inside the band that I took off so I could read the mark.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

Hi all,

I wanted you all to know what I found out about the blue ring. It is a natural aquamarine, 14.5 carats 19x12x8.7, triple a. I have been so excited this week! The story on this ring is that I bought some jewelry from a family member not knowing what this ring was all about.

I called them tonite to let them know what I found out and they were very happy! I am letting them make up their minds on how they want to sell the ring. Thank you for all your help on this board.

Cindy

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

2 rings help please

Wowza!  Congratulations!  Is the aquamarine set in platinum?

Message 15 of 19
latest reply