cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 more mourning brooches(?)

I baought this as a celluiod victorian brooch, but is this infact a "mourning brooch"?  Also, this ( I think) jet glass brooch, mourning as well? or just cool? ( my daughter is coveting this, ..) V76IMG_6365.JPGIMG_6366.JPGIMG_6299.JPGIMG_6300.JPGIMG_6301.JPG

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: 2 more mourning brooches(?)

No help on this kind of stuff..other than to say the bar pin actually looks like it might be gf? on my monitor..or have some gold content? 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

It really does photo well, (2nd) I cannot find a mark, and it is different from cameos I have had, it looks hand carved, I will ask my daughter with better eyes than mine to give it a once over, it would not be the first time I have overlooked the obvious. I tend to do that a bit more than I used to..Thank You for looking! ( and replying 🙂 )  V76

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

It may not necessarily have any gold markings..many years ago they did not have to mark it.  

I`m sure others more knowledgeable on this period stuff will weigh in soon Cat Happy

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Oh my goodness! I just realized you were spealing of the jet glass, not the cameo brooch I also just posted about, I really am loosing it a bit!  Very sorry, V76

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I would think that second one is "Onyx" glass and seed pearls,,,I would have it tested for gold content.

if you scroll down you will see similiar ones here: 

http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/collectVictorian.html

A wealth of information , great for dating,,finding "findings" and so much more.

As for the flower one,,,that seems a little dull, to be either glass or onyx,,,

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

So did I get it wrong on the silver and black, not jet glass but onyx glass? ugh. Then what about these earrings, onyx glass as well? They have that same amazing shine and depth...IMG_6083.JPGIMG_6315.JPGIMG_6319.JPG

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

That bar pin may be the stone onyx Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Are you sure the carved circular flower brooch is celluloid?  From the photos it kind of looks like carved natural jet? 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

On the flower, there's an easy way to check. Hold it in your hand until it warms up and then sniff. Celluloid will smell like mothballs. (People online mislabel stuff as celluloid all the time and it always baffles me that they do because the nose knows better.) Jet will leave a characteristic streak on the inside of your toilet tank lid or the back of a tile; somebody else can advise you better on that.

flotsamlogo
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

It looks very old stuff nice stuff
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Here is a link that shows scratch tested materials, go to the bottom of the page:

http://www.jmfelton.com/jetid1.htm

Message 12 of 12
latest reply