cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting Category Change and Item Specifics Problems & Questions

alan@ebay   Could this board remain open beyond June 10?  If not, it would be helpful to have one place / path to report problems.

Question: Which Item Specifics fields can have more than one keyword (separated by a comma), and which can have only one?

@shipscript 

tree*fern
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

@tree*fern 

eBay has an ItemSpecifics lookup tool on this page, but it's been on-and-off broken this past year.  I'm told it may come back to life tonight.

https://developer.ebay.com/tools/item-specifics

The tool will download a spreadsheet of parameters that might not be easily interpreted, but I have a beta tool to translate that into a usable bulk data entry page.

eBay's spreadsheet includes information about whether an ItemSpecific can be used in a variation or only in the master record. It indicates which items are mandatory, which items have immutable values, which accept custom values, which are multi-selects or single-selects, and it provides a list of common values for each ItemSpecific name.  It's pretty handy data, so I hope they can keep it stable for the duration.

What I don't know is when or how it will switch from the old specifics to the new specifics, since sellers obviously need to prepare in advance of the cutover.  As it currently exists, it pulls in the data that is most popular for that category at the moment.

In the meantime, sellers probably need to extract all of their current item specifics in the event they are lost and must be re-established. I'm working on a tool to capture ItemSpecifics from active listings (not inventory).

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 36
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

In the meantime, sellers probably need to extract all of their current item specifics in the event they are lost and must be re-established. I'm working on a tool to capture ItemSpecifics from active listings (not inventory).

@shipscript- That tool would be GREAT! Do you have a mailing list where subscribers can be alerted to new tools on your site? I would be interested in signing up for that. 🙂

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Thanks @shipscript !!

tree*fern

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@tree*fern wrote:

alan@ebay   Could this board remain open beyond June 10?  If not, it would be helpful to have one place / path to report problems.

Question: Which Item Specifics fields can have more than one keyword (separated by a comma), and which can have only one?

@shipscript 

Hi @tree*fern

The dedicated Seller Update boards will close next week. Sorry about the delay in getting answers to some of the questions on this board. I will get answers to the questions before the boards close. 

Thank you! 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

@tree*fern 

eBay has an ItemSpecifics lookup tool on this page, but it's been on-and-off broken this past year.  I'm told it may come back to life tonight.

https://developer.ebay.com/tools/item-specifics

The tool will download a spreadsheet of parameters that might not be easily interpreted, but I have a beta tool to translate that into a usable bulk data entry page.

eBay's spreadsheet includes information about whether an ItemSpecific can be used in a variation or only in the master record. It indicates which items are mandatory, which items have immutable values, which accept custom values, which are multi-selects or single-selects, and it provides a list of common values for each ItemSpecific name.  It's pretty handy data, so I hope they can keep it stable for the duration.

What I don't know is when or how it will switch from the old specifics to the new specifics, since sellers obviously need to prepare in advance of the cutover.  As it currently exists, it pulls in the data that is most popular for that category at the moment.

Hey Shipscript I to think that this would be a great data set for sellers to have. Unfortunately I followed the link that you provided but I was unable to get that page to load or retrieve any item specifics.

I was wondering if it might have anything to do with the fact that I am not a registered eBay developer? See my screenshot below. There is a message at the top of that page that states:

" eBay API License Agreement updated, action required. Learn more ..."

Item Specifics Lookup tool.png

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@tree*fern wrote:

@shipscript 

This would be super helpful within the Book Category as well as the Magazine Category when.....

A -a book has more than one author

B - Anthologies or collections of short stories with stories written by multiple authors

Example:

Item Specifics >Author:> Stephen King,Terry Pratchett,Terry Goodkind,Orson Scott Card,Robert Silverberg,Ursula K. Le Guin,Tad Williams,George R. R. Martin,Anne McCaffrey,Raymond E. Feist,Robert Jordan

Publication: Legends: Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy
Editor: Robert Silverberg
Date: 1998-10-00
ISBN 10: 0-312-86787-5

ISBN 13: 978-0-312-86787-4
Publisher: Tor
Pages: 715
Format: Hardcover
Type: ANTHOLOGY

Table Of Contents:

11 • Introduction (Legends) • essay by Robert Silverberg
23 • The Little Sisters of Eluria • [Roland] • novella by Stephen King
99 • The Sea and Little Fishes • [Discworld] • novelette by Terry Pratchett
145 • Debt of Bones • [Sword of Truth Universe] • novella by Terry Goodkind
221 • Grinning Man • [The Alvin Maker Saga] • novelette by Orson Scott Card
263 • The Seventh Shrine • [Majipoor] • novella by Robert Silverberg
341 • Dragonfly • [Earthsea Cycle] • novella by Ursula K. Le Guin
403 • The Burning Man • [Memory, Sorrow & Thorn] • novelette by Tad Williams
457 • The Hedge Knight • [Dunk and Egg • 1] • novella by George R. R. Martin
543 • Runner of Pern • [Dragonriders of Pern] • novella by Anne McCaffrey
603 • The Wood Boy • [Riftwar Universe] • novelette by Raymond E. Feist
637 • New Spring • [Wheel of Time] • novella by Robert Jordan

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Example:

Item Specifics >Author>Stephen King,Terry Pratchett,Terry Goodkind,Orson Scott Card,Robert Silverberg,Ursula K. Le Guin,Tad Williams,George R. R. Martin,Anne McCaffrey,Raymond E. Feist,Robert Jordan

I am not sure how the emoji found its way into my example in my previous post but it did. Bad emojiSmiley Embarassed.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken 

Hi, no you do not need to be a registered developer. I accessed this same "program" I think it was in July, 2018 and again later on February 24, 2019. I can't find the earlier thread on this dated 2/23/19 from Ship, but It worked and I still have my hard copy print out. But, yes, the same link given now doesn't work. @shipscript did say earlier in this thread it was an "iffy" link and may or may not work right now. It ain't workin' lolol. Maybe they are busy updating it? 

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for reporting the issue with https://developer.ebay.com/tools/item-specifics.

We have notified the developer.ebay.com team to investigate and resolve the broken link.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken 

@abfabvintage 

I spoke with eBay staff about the broken page and explained how this is going to be a popular resource over the next 8 weeks.

Apparently, a large chunk of that developer platform is being migrated to a different server and this particular tool is not there yet (and hasn't been for months - so this must be a migration of molassalopes) . I've been assured that the tool is not going away, and that they'll try to get a message posted on that broken page.

@Anonymous   Thank you for adding your voice. This tool really needs to be fixed earlier instead of later.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 11 of 36
latest reply

alan@ebay   Please let us know where and how to report category change and IS problems, thanks!

Books category Item Specifics: The Format Item Specific now no longer allows data entry, only choices from a list. Please add or change these formats:

• Staple-bound Booklet format is missing. Please add.

• Ring/Wire Bound vs. Spiral Bound. Ring/Wire Bound isn't needed; Spiral Bound covers it.  It's unnecessary, but if you want to differentiate between metal wire spiral and plastic spiral and plastic spiral comb bindings, then please make the definitions clear.

• Ring / Wire Bound vs. Ringbound. A ring binding (Ringbound) is not the same as a wire spiral binding (Spiral Bound).

• eBook. Delete, not needed as the list also has eBook (Digital Delivery) and eBook (Physical Delivery).

• Leather vs. Leather Bound. Need only one.
tree*fern

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Sorry, forgot to add:

Is the third eBook IS meant for sellers providing both a digital and physical copy?  If yes, then please change that to eBook (Digital and Physical).

(I can't remember the rules, and the current Help page doesn't say.)

tree*fern

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can report category and item specifics problems and/or suggestions here:

https://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUs&wftype=2004&rcode=GS%3DCU0758&subject=Suggestion...

Each suggestions is reviewed and forwarded to individuals responsible for the area reported. 

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Thanks @Anonymous , but does that also apply to reporting problems / technical issues with the June 10 changes?  

tree*fern

Message 15 of 36
latest reply