eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
Community Member

Corian vs. Granite for countertops

Hello,
I'm new here. My DH and I are looking into replacing our kitchen countertops, and went to Home Depot yesterday. We looked at corian and granite. He likes Corian, especially the seamless sink feature, and I LOVE the granite. We were shocked because the price for granite was only $1 more per sq foot than the corian, so either would be affordable to us. My question is: Does anyone have corian or granite in their kitchen, and what do you think of it. What it the maintenance like? Any recommendations for one or the other?

Thank you so much for your input.
Nancy
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Given the minimum price difference between the two, I would go with the granite. I have the solid surfacing with the seamless sink. It's easy to keep clean with Fantastik. However, I would love to have granite, both for the look of it and for the re-sale/appraised value it would add to my kitchen and home. I would then install a stainless steel undermount sink with the granite to keep the "seamless" convenience.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
my mom just replaced her counters with granite tile, they are gorgeous and she loves it
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
I am a professional interior designer, practiced in NYC and now in San Diego and I teach a class here in SD in interior design. I have used both materials. Granite is just about the same price as Corian (brand name for solid material -- color goes all the way through). The only reason to use Corian or another brand would be if you needed a special color that is not available in granite which is a natural material and therefore limited in its finishes. Granite is more durable (practically indestructible) but it is harder (things break when you drop them on it) and colder (temperature.) I personally have granite in the giallo veneziano color. Any synthetic solid surface material can discolor or scorch from heat. My students usually go with granite in the kitchen (after research) and sometimes the solid surface material in their bathrooms. I recommend that you go to a local quarry or granite/marble yard and select your granite there. They usually have installers as well and actually that is who the large retailers use anyway. You may even pay less than the large chains charge. And you will have a greater selection. Hope this helps!!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the advice. I am going to forward this link to my husband and hopefully, I can sway him toward granite. The color I fell in love with is called "Black galaxy" and Home Depot had it on a sample countertop. It was so stunning - black with silver and gray throughout.

Thanks again!
Nancy
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
How could anyone choose plastic-looking Corian over natural, God given granite. I've seen that Black Galaxy at Home Depot and, you're right - it is stunning. I think granite is elegant and has an organic warmth that Corian can't provide.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
GRANITE!!!! We are in the marble and granite field and granite is by far a more durable and practically indestructable material.

MARBLEGRANITEMAN and Mrs.Marblehead :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
cherry-pie-and-roses
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Trivia FYI:

Elberton, Georgia: The Granite Capital of the World

They even have a museum dedicated to granite.
GPSA Glass & Pottery Sellers' Association * NAVT
Needle Arts & Vintage Textiles Board * Facebook
Group Blocked Bidders List - eBay BBL
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Great guys, you talked me into another project. Getting rid of my 2" dark cobalt tile with black grout on the peninsula and the wet bar.
I love the look of granite too. Corian looks so sterile, no shine or glimmer like granite.
Oh honey..where's the checkbook?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Hi, Just saw your post and had to reply. My dh and I just put in a Blue Pearl granite counter in our kitchen and could not be happier. We bought from a fellow ebayer and saved a bunch over Home Depot even after paying for shipping, it was a few dollars a square foot cheaper and everything arrived perfect! Just my two cents, but it is so nice to live with.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
I am shocked that the granite costs more where you live! We just picked granite to go into our new house because the granite at the Home Depot here is half the price of the Corian. I guess it varies in different parts of the country?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Hi everyone - OP here!

Well, yesterday we had granite counters installed - the color is Black Impala, which is has a black background with grey and silver thoughout. It looks so sharp with our white cabinets.

Now that it's in, I have another question. Previously we had mauve (yuk) laminate counters and I had sage green and mauve curtains, rugs, chairpads, artwork, etc... Now that we have the blackish/grey counters, I'm at a loss as to what color rugs etc to use. I'm not a big fan of red, and I know that pink will go with grey/black, but I'm tired of the pink in the kitchen. Any decorators out there that could tell me what colors I can put in there? My favorite color is blue, but I don't know how that would look. Please help!!

Thanks,
Nancy

P.S. Jillybean, we too fell in love with the blue pearl. It was either that or the black impala. So glad you're happy with it.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Blue would look amazing with black -- but it could make for a rather dark kitchen. Maybe pick a grey-blue, or a green-blue, rather than a royal or midnight blue. Another colour that looks great with black is terra-cotta. Play on the fact that you have a natural material for your countertops, and have a go with colours found in nature. The sage green you described actually sounds rather nice! :-)
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Scratches on dark solid surface countertops
I'm wondering how you heal or conceal the scratches that occur in the shiny granite? Not from cutting of course, but the normal wear and tear scuffs from pans, stoneware plates and bowls etc.?
Please use plain text.
cherry-pie-and-roses
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
You don't get them easily, Mote. Granite is soooooo very hard, it's almost impervious.

Brenda
GPSA Glass & Pottery Sellers' Association * NAVT
Needle Arts & Vintage Textiles Board * Facebook
Group Blocked Bidders List - eBay BBL
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Bump, since I'm now in the granite-choosing mode!

But what about the bathroom counters? Granite as well? Or cultured marble?

What about laundry rooms?

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
I have the cultured marble for bath counters. One of my girls left her curling iron on and melted a line across it. Over time, it will also lose it's shine and stain. Solid surface is a much better choice.

Our Home Depot told us NOT to use granite in the kitchen. According to them, it really isn't solid, has lots of minute cracks, is not sanitary, and will break. I don't think that guy really knows his product.

ann
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Every once in a while I entertain the prospect of redoing my counters. While I really love granite,(or any other stone, for that matter) I have not heard a satisfactory answer for how you can really clean those surfaces. I like to clean with pinesol and amonia, or wipe with a bleach solution occasionally. Plain soap and water doesn't do it for me when raw chicken juice spills on the counter. Can anyone address this?
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
Peesha, we're just now in the market ourselves for all new kitchen and 3 baths. Everything.

What I've heard about granite: they seal it so it isn't all that porous, and you do keep bleach away from it. But I do believe that mads_mom uses 409 on hers and it works. And, she has a dark counter, so it would show if it was fading anything. I think it is best to reseal periodically.

As for the chicken juices, etc., we're going to do our cutting on a cutting board over the sink. But, I think a spill of anything will be in droplets and will not soak in.

Anyone else who has these countertops?

On the cultured marble, in my previous house, we kept it pretty with ... CAR WAX! Yes, it will take a burn badly, but you can buff it like a car with car wax and it will have a beautiful sheen.

When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true!
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to mads_mom
I love when informative threads such as this, re-surface!

After seeing a friend's newly remodeled kitchen last month, I fell in love with her granite counter tops. In our next home, these will be a must!
Please use plain text.