cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping cost

over the last few years I have noticed some seller inflate the shipping amount in order to make more profit and save ebay cost.  this only infuriates guys like me who are not getting a fair price on items some sellers are greedy. I especially love those sellers who come in with low cost so you will add them to your watchlist where shipping cost are obscured and not readily apparent.  I have learned to negotiate shipping cost and get  fair value with an email guarantee of a refund if I buy.  to me its just more work and shopping on ebay is not as enjoyable as when I started in I think 2006

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

shipping cost

Thanks for posting.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

shipping cost

Who is more greedy?   The buyer who wants a rock bottom low price or the seller that wants to make a large profit?

I always inflate my shipping costs to make more profit.   Anyone that tries to bargain with me on shipping price goes on my Best Buddies List.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

shipping cost

Certain mega-corporations are able to negotiate cheap shipping rates with the carriers. Your average ebay seller can not do this. You may have NO IDEA how expensive shipping actually is when you're used to ordering from Prime or somewhere.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

shipping cost

the buyer is certainly not greedy but some are stupid.  the price should be legitimate shipping cost can be defended if legitmate.  I and others will not buy when shipping is obviously unfair. the price of the item is set buy seller  if its good he will buy. remember there are alternate ways to buy, facebook market place and etsy and reverb  and many others. greedy sellers only drive business away.  I could show emails from sellers who lower prices and beg me to buy but I won't because if they were dishonest with that technique how can I expect to trust them if something goes wrong

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

shipping cost

I absolutely know as I have sold  at least 100 items in my time I both buy and sell

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

shipping cost

@daytrader.1 

Sellers pay fees based on the total amount paid. 
The seller pays the same fees if the item is $10 and $15 shipping or of the item is $25 with free shipping. 

Negotiating ‘an email guarantee of a refund’, just the thought of it sent me to my buyer requirements. Thanks for posting. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

shipping cost

@daytrader.1 wrote:

over the last few years I have noticed some seller inflate the shipping amount in order to make more profit and save ebay cost. 

Your experience as a seller is clearly out of date based on the above remark.   Sellers have been paying FVF on shipping costs since 2011.   I can assure you that shipping costs have increased greatly in the last 10 years.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

shipping cost

You claim you know what it cost to ship because you have sold a "100  items in your time".  Shipping costs change EVERY year so 100 shipments is literally nothing. 

If you knew as you claim you do then you would also know that a seller save NO money on ebay costs by charging more for shipping and in fact can be paying more since ebay takes a fee from the TOTAL cost (item + shipping).

I personally include shipping cost in the price of items (free shipping) most of the time but not always.

That being said, I agree with another post on here (implied but not stated) that it sounds more like a BUYER being greedy trying to negotiate a lower price than it does a SELLER being greedy trying to maximize profits.

Shipping costs aren't hidden so not sure what you mean by that but you can always sort your searches by "lowest price including shipping" so you are not getting tricked into looking at an ad with a $5 item and $30 shipping for a 2lb item that fits in an 8x6x4 box.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

shipping cost

that may be true haven't sold anything for a few times but whatever ebay collects on shipping I dought its as high as their fee on the item. sounds me that ebay caught on to the shipping cost game and cut their losses by imposing a fee. never the less all buyers look for a bargain and all sellers want to make max profit the difference is that many sellers have no idea of the value their product deserve.  most ebay stores do better and are truly offering a good price and fair shipping and handling fees  but what I am seeing is lot of people don't know and won't do the research necessary to price their items and then hit you with inflated shipping. 

I can't tell you how many items I see that I can buy new with free shipping and these people just clutter up

the whole ebay system

Message 10 of 10
latest reply