cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to buy a sewing machine.

I am trying to purchase a sewing machine with the Buy It Now Tab..  It shows the shipping charge but I live very close to the seller and don't want to pay that charge..  I see no way on how to do that.  I tried to contact the seller but she is Not available to answer questions..  How do I buy this???  Thank in advance..

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@fr434841,

Not all sellers will allow buyers to do a local pick-up.

If the seller doesn't accept questions, then there's probably no chance that they would be willing to let you do a local pick up. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Are you suggesting that you'd like to do local pickup? Please be aware that many sellers aren't comfortable with face-to-face interaction, even if it's in the safety of the local PD parking lot.  

Please be aware that, if you commit to the purchase as is, you will have to pay the shipping as it stands.

Think about it before you press that button. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If your seller wanted to do local pickups then they'd offer that.

If you buy this item then you will have to pay that shipping charge

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for your responses.  I don't mind paying the shipping because it's actually not that much money but that is what scares me..  I know what the machine costs to ship and I can see the machine getting smashed to bits...  Oh well.  I will find another...  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@fr434841,

The seller may have factored some of the shipping cost into the price of the item. That doesn't necessarily mean that the machine would not be packaged appropriately.

If the machine is damaged during shipping, that would qualify as "not as described" and you would be fully covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

As long as you are willing to pay the shipping if it comes to that, you could buy the item, pay for it in full, and then ask the seller if they would be willing to let you pick it up and refund the shipping cost. They don't have to agree, so it might still be shipped, but it's OK to ask. Just not demand.

There's a good chance that you will get an answer, as a paying customer. They may not be able to do a pickup, and it's possible that their after-sale process would not be compatible with a pickup. But you can ask.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

You were shopping for a sewing machine.  You found one that you like.  The only thing that's stopping you from buying it is that you cannot pick it up in person, so you're going to find another? 

The changes of it getting smashed to bits are about the same no matter how far it ships.   

Have you not read eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers?

Sorry, but I don't understand your take on this.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thank you.  I forgot once you buy it you can contact them.  I collect these machines and know the prices and this is a steal, therefore the shipping price comment..  

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I collect sewing machines and know them well.  I guess I should have said that the shipping was $7.65.  I can barely ship a book for that price..  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

So, low shipping and you are likely to get it faster because it's just down the road?

The shipping sounds like a new seller just pulled  the number out of their hat.

There is a possibility that they will either not ship due to the cost or as you to pay more.

Don't.  

Again, you are very well protected by the MBG.  Personally, if I wanted the machine badly enough, I'd not let the circumstances keep me from the purchase..

Hard to understand your intention to let it go and continue shopping if it's something you really want.

I also collect sewing machines (minimally) and you are right about the shipping.  Again, I see this as a new seller.  Care to share the item#? 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I personally would not have a machine shipped by a seller who doesn't have a track record of shipping machines, or doesn't at least explain in detail how s/he is going to pack it because I don't want to feel the pain of seeing the broken pieces. Especially if it's a rare machine.   But that's just me.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply