cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World War II original items, mixed lot

I have a mixed lot of World War II original items, including the soldier's ID card (Medical Corps doctor with a red cross on the reverse side), several large studio photographs of him in uniform, several of his cadeucus collar devices, a first lieutenant's bar, several officer bars worn by his wife, a pair of cadeucus earrings his wife wore, and dozens of small (2" x 3" or so) photos of him in various places in Europe.  I'm inclined to list it as one lot.  What do you all think?  Split it up or sell as one unit?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Since all items relate to the same officer, I'd sell as an archive lot.  Doesn't sound like any one item of great value but I'd be careful to price, making sure that I didn't overlook something of particular collector interest.

Debora

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Hi,

Thanks!  That's kind of how I was seeing it.  I'm wondering if one of the formal studio portraits of him in uniform, and a pair of the cadeucus pins seen in the portrait, might profitably be split off from the other things.  Also, how in the world do I price these items?  I'm inclined to do 30-day fixed price listings, but how do I establish a price?  I've just counted the photos and categorized them (him alone, him with military vehicle, travel photos, etc.) but still have no idea what they are worth.  

A side story:  One of his photos, long ago thrown in the trash, showed a rectangular hole perhaps 12" x 18" in the middle of a vertical concrete wall. There was nothing else in the photo.  Many years ago, I pestered him and pestered him until he told me what the mystery photo was:  one of the ovens at Dachau.  He was one of the first Army doctors there after the camp was liberated, and ended up as the physician for the Nazi officers interned there.  He never recovered from what we would now call the PTSD of that experience.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply