cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identify this 35-5 marked vinyl doll

This doll was in some items from an estate, so I am not the original owner.  The Torso is made so differently from most dolls that it looks more like an old store mannequin to me than a doll.  The head tilts and rotates.  It has sleep eyes.   It can wear child's 3T sized clothing.  Though it is marked 35-5, I measured it at 34" tall.

The way the rib cage and stomach are made really threw me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also, was it made to be a boy, a girl, or non-specified?104_3995.JPG104_3998.JPG104_4002.JPG104_4005.JPG

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Please help identify this 35-5 marked vinyl doll

The doll you have is a clone or companion/friend of Ideal's very popular (circa 1959/1960) Patti Playpal (you'll see "Playpal" spelled in various ways). I think your doll is a clone, unless it has "Ideal" on the back of the neck. Also, the Ideal dolls typically had long hair.  If you look at these dolls on eBay, you will see the best way to dress her (thrift store toddler dress, slip/petticoat, nylon underpants and anklet socks, size 3 black shoes--abt. $10 for all where I shop) and make her hair look nice. Collectors love these dolls! 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you.  I actually have 2.  The other one is hard plastic walker and is marked U 21.  I suspect her to be a Uneeda.  This one is not a walker and is a CHUNK compared to the other doll. Instead of Hard Plastic, it is made of heavy vinyl.

That and the way the torso was made really threw me. I had never seen a body mold like it before.   Have you seen this first type?

104_3994.JPG104_4013.JPG

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

The Uneeda walker weighs about 2 pounds, the other doll almost the exact same height weighs 6 pounds
Message 4 of 4
latest reply