cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the issue with cutting up designer scarves and masking masks out of them?

At the start of the pandemic, I sold some masks, made from designer scarves ... after a while, Ebay took the listings down, citing "counterfeit" something or other... but the scarves I am using are not in any way counterfeit.  In another takedown, they indicated I cant use the manufacturer name. How can I sell these masks without using the manufacturer name of the material the thing is made from?  I'm calling them Upcycled Handmade ... I'm not leading anyone to believe the manufacturer made the item. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

What is the issue with cutting up designer scarves and masking masks out of them?

You can't use the name or logo of the designer in any way, in description or pictures if the item wasn't licensed by the designer.

Some of the designs printed on the fabrics may be trademarked by the designer, and you can't use a picture that shows a trademarked design if the item wasn't licensed by the designer. If this is the issue, then you can't sell your recycled items.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Copyright infringement means you cannot use their product where the logo is visible to make a product without being licensed or approval from said company.

With other makers, only 'authorized licensed' re-sellers can sell anything with their name on it.

You cannot use an LV handbag, cut it up and make shoes out of them with the LV still showing all over the shoe. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Ok, yes, that makes sense...

There is a logo on the scarf.  But the other 95% of the scarf does not have a name or logo on it (its just a picture).  So what is the reason for takedown of those?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

You can't use the name or logo of the designer in any way, in description or pictures if the item wasn't licensed by the designer.

Some of the designs printed on the fabrics may be trademarked by the designer, and you can't use a picture that shows a trademarked design if the item wasn't licensed by the designer. If this is the issue, then you can't sell your recycled items.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you.  So I guess the pictures/images (even though it was not a logo) were possibly copyrighted... I did not consider that. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply