cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Biotin Suppliments: Can too much cause hair loss?

iwillsellthistoyou
Enthusiast
I started talking 3mg of biotin along with a muli-vitamin about a month ago. My hair is so fine which is one reason why I started taking the vitamin. I noticed that I have more hair fall out than usual. Am I taking too much biotin or is this common when you first take it?
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Biotin Suppliments: Can too much cause hair loss?

I have been taking biotin 5000 mcg for about 6 months.  My hair seemed thicker at first but now last few months it is falling out more.  I am thinking it's the biotin because I have not started any other  vitamins.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Here is the reason for your hairloss: Biotin uses the same receptors as Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) in the gut. Excess levels of Biotin in the small intestine will effectively saturate all of your available receptors thereby blocking the absorption of Vitamin B5, causing a deficiency.  Vitamin B5 also helps with hair growth and thickness and a deficiency will almost certainly affect your hair. Taking single vitamins is always a bad idea, your genes have evolved over thousands of years to absorb vitamins and minerals in the quantities available in food. Ramping up one single vitamin will cause adverse side effects in some individuals. Just eat real food. Plenty of the vitamins you need are contained in nuts, spinach and eggs. 

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

Thank you. At least now I know what to have checked. I think I’m just taking too many different supplements. It’s so depressing the amount of hair I’m loosing
Message 33 of 35
latest reply

This is happening to me too! I was taking biotin for 2 month and on my next haircut my salonist said there’s a LOT of breakage. my scalp was always itchy and hair was falling out constantly!! I had new hair growing in at my hairline but I also lost so much hair. It thinned out quite a bit. 

I’m going to stop taking biotin and see if it improves in a month or so.

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

I am having the same problem. My hairs

now falling out rapidly. How long after stopping the

biotin did you the hair loss stop? 

Message 35 of 35
latest reply