cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN YOU HELP AUTHENTICATE THIS COACH BAG?

I bought this Madison Phoebe at an estate sale at a mansion full of designer clothing.  coach1.jpgcoach2.jpgcoach3.jpgcoach4.jpgcoach5.jpg

I felt sure it was real. Creed number is A1393- 24621. The quality is superb inside and out. But when I began researching I started to have doubts.

Firstly, it has no YKK zipper as far as I can see, and so many people say it must have that to be authentic?
Secondly, you can see the metal COACH embellishment on the side of the bag stands alone (last photo).No little coach and horses above, no  "New York" below.  I've seen many identical bags with the stand alone name like mine, then others with the three symbols. Which are real?
Lastly, I've seen some identical bags with "COACH" etched into the metal pieces that connect the straps to the bag. Mine are just unetched silver (second last photo).  Any help you can provide would be SO much appreciated!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Should have also mentioned that I'm in Canada, in case any of these specifics can be explained by my location!

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The bag is absolutely authentic. 

But I have a couple of comments about why you suspected that it's fake. 

1. Firstly, it has no YKK zipper as far as I can see, and so many people say it must have that to be authentic?

Whatever guide you're reading that pushes the "YKK myth" is not a guide with accurate information and if it has that misinformation, there's probably more bad info. Search for "Salearea Coach guides" for accurate info. 

Zipper brand has absolutely NOTHING to do with authenticity. Coach has used YKK as well as at least 5 other zipper brands over the years. Additionally, if a zipper breaks, it can be replaced by another zipper that may or may not be a brand that Coach used or uses. 

But because counterfeiters read the same nonsense that you read, 99% of fakes have either genuine or fake YKK zippers! (Yup, zippers are faked too.)

2. Secondly, you can see the metal COACH embellishment on the side of the bag stands alone (last photo).No little coach and horses above, no  "New York" below.  I've seen many identical bags with the stand alone name like mine, then others with the three symbols. Which are real?

Some bags have the horse and carriage logo and others do not. Every bag needs to be evaluated on its own merits. You MUST compare apples to apples, that is, exact same item to exact same item. Compare other "24621" styles. (This isn't to say all are authentic but again, it needs to be apples to apples.)

3. Lastly, I've seen some identical bags with "COACH" etched into the metal pieces that connect the straps to the bag. Mine are just unetched silver (second last photo).  Any help you can provide would be SO much appreciated!

Please show an example of an identical bag with an engraved name. (One bag that's listed as 24621 is actually 26224.  NOT apples to apples!)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Authentic Madison Phoebe Made in 2013 in China. The absence of Horse and Carriage under the Coach is normal, the 'Coach' etching missing on the strap clasps is odd I don't have an answer for that. These were made in China so Canada probably has nothing to o with the anomalies, but it might, and the 'YKK' zippers on all real coach bags is a total myth. Many counterfeit bags have 'Ykk' Zippers.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for all your help! Here are photos of what I thought was the identical bag, but I see that the Creed number is actually different. Hopefully that explains it?etchedcoach1.jpgetchedcreed1.jpg

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

The creed number of the maroon bag with the etched "Coach" on the silver findings is H1376 rather than my A1393.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

And once again, just want to profusely thank you experts!  I'm SO grateful!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

That's not the style number. The style number is the same (24621) The numbers and letters you are referring to is the Style number prefix which tells the Month (H Which stands for August) '13' Which stands for the year made, 2013, And the Plant (76 which is a China Plant) So the mystery still exists.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Uh oh. So that anomaly has me doubting again 🙂

Wow, this is hard!

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Ok, I think I have found your answer. Of the 29 of these exact bags on Ebay, they were made at 4 different China plants. #68, #69, #76, #81 and #93 like yours. ALL of the '93' plant strap hardware ones are missing the coach emboss in them like yours. All the other plant pieces have the coach emboss. So, My guess is that plant '93' received these parts without the coach emboss like yours. All of them look authentic also. Hope that helps!

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

OMG! Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this and THANK YOU for the answer to the question that was so puzzling!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@skippy527 wrote:

Uh oh. So that anomaly has me doubting again 🙂

Wow, this is hard!

Hello i got a coach bag the owner said it might not be real can u help me please..

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Hello i got a coach bag it isn't my 1st but the owner before me said They didnt know if it was real, can u help me? Please and ty

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@montanmoor5 

Please start a new thread with your concerns and detailed pictures of the bag in question.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread  if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply