cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with a vintage (?) snakeskin? bag

Hello,

I am wondering if you kind people could help with this bag. I am trying to determine (a)if it is real snakeskin and (b)any information about period or possibly maker. I  have searched online about authenticating snakeskin but don't feel confident enough to say for sure.  Do any of you have any thoughts or places where I might have someone take a look? It measures 10.5 inches long and 7.5 inches high at its highest point. The interior looks like grosgrain.  The letters HK in a circle appear on the metal frame but can't find any information if it is a trademark, a reference to Hong Kong, etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated. There is no label or designer indicated inside the bag.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: help with a vintage (?) snakeskin? bag

IMO definitely snake and vintage unless it's a contemporary vintage inspired remake but then I'd expect it to be made of snake printed leather and not genuine snakeskin but this is educated guessing on my part.

i'm pretty good with skins but not so good with dating stuff before 70s and I'm thinking 70s on that bag  but again I'm rambling so wait for the vintage people to check in. In my head (and it may just be in my head lol) those vintage looking 50s60s bags that had slightly longer straps were 70s but go by the vinties that respond before starting searches and I'm sure they'll identify themselves.

There's also a vintage board under maybe groups? 

Check around you'll find it or someone here will post a link. No clue how active it is. This one is enough for me lol.

Can you post more pictures of the interior. Any stamps or remnants?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Missed the stamp. My bad. No clue but Hong Kong is my guess as it's snake and very nicely done IMO. Start searching 60s and 70s Hong Kong snake bags.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks so very much! I was thinking 70s too, mostly because of the very scientific reason that my mom had a very similar bag. I have attached photos of the interior - no markings in the interior, just the "HK" on the metal frame. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks again! I will look into Hong Kong snake bags. Appreciate your help.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Found two similar listed as 60s.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Unless others post more info I think you can list it as cupser 60s/70s Vintage Genuin Snake Bag Frame Stamped HK

Just really use great detailed pics (as you did) since we really need those macro details to give (hopefully) accurate information as it's all just the opinion of the poster regardless of qualifications since we're just volunteers hanging out here.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks so very much!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I know nothing about expensive bags but I do know about rattlesnakes and others that I have had to kill because they are venemous. From the photos, it looks like real snake skin. (ACK A SNAKE< KILL IT!)

“Nothing that grieves us can be called little: by the eternal laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size”

Mark Twain
Message 9 of 9
latest reply