cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to the size in my listings!?!

All of a sudden, eBay has obliterated the size on most of my clothing listings! Are they going to fix this? If so, when? No wonder my sales just dropped off all of a sudden!

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: What happened to the size in my listings!?!

I'm glad to know eBay will be mapping the missing size (and other?) items specifices and copying the data into the now blank field. So, since it took so long for them to give sellers any guidance, I wasted an  entire day yesterday.

Thanks again eBay. 

On another note, sellers note the little information icons now appearing in the listing form for clothing (blue circle with an "i" in it). Many of the items still don't make sense even with eBay's "helpful" information on what the field is intended for.

Waist circumference, hip circumference all say we are to give the measurements of the intended wearer. Would it not make more sense to instead ask sellers to provide those measurements for the garment they're selling vs. trying to say what the measurements of the intended wearer should be? Sheesh! Then, inconsistently, for Neck size they say it's for "the size of the garment's neck opening." Chest size asks for measurement of the garment's bust. OK. That makes sense, but begs the question, exactly how those measurements are to be taken.  I can describe the garment. I can't describe the person who will wear it!

Another inconsistency. Sleeve length... doesn't ask for a measurement but rather has the old familiar "long sleeve" "short sleeve" etc. though the info icon says "measures of the length of the sleeve." Go figure. 

Ebay seems not to have a good taxonomist or anyone who understands selling clothing.

Don't get me started on some of the other item specifics. Oh,but one more

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

For unknown reasons, they shortened size of the item Title box. The character limit is unchanged, but the physical size of the input box is a little smaller.  Now when you have an item title that uses all the characters, you have to scroll to see the last several characters in your item title when you go to revise. Just makes for more inefficiency and more work. Why? Why? Why, eBay? This wasn't a change anyone needed! 

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Amen! My words exactly! I just got off the phone with eBay. Why on earth are the men's and women's sizes put on the same drop down ?????? And as for womens' plus sizes, there are no 1X,2X etc. but rather 2X Big,etc which are men's sizes!!!!!!

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

I've been selling kids' clothing on eBay on-and-off for almost two decades, so I try to be pretty laissez-faire when it comes to eBay screwups, but why they chose to do this makes NO sense. Guess I picked the wrong quarter to try to ramp up again.

The good: it looks like my item specific sizes are now showing up correctly. I only had one to fix when I bulk edited, and they all seem to be in the correct categories. Like a Baby Gap 2T dress is now in CS&A/Baby/Baby & Toddler Clothing/Dresses instead of the retired gender-specific category CS&A/Baby & Toddler Clothing/Girls..., etc.. So all good there. 

But something must still be screwed up behind the scenes. As people have already said,  there's now often no way to search and then drill down by Size in the sidebar. Like a search for "Baby Gap dress" pulls up thousands of items but no Size option. For a smaller brand like Catimini, though, Size does show up in the sidebar (but weirdly only if you're looking at results in the subcategory CS&A/Baby, and not if you drill down one level to CS&A/Baby/Baby & Toddler Clothing).

But then if you go back and look at the Size options under CS&A/Baby (1064 results), the only size option listed is Unspecified - click on that and it narrows to 401 results! So what happened to the other 600+ items? How are they being categorized? They mostly seem to have the right sizes listed under their Item Specifics. 

I'd like to think most people will directly type in size and gender in their search query now, but still - I stalk another seller who sells tons of baby clothes and has daily 15-20+ sales, and yesterday she sold ONE thing. Today she's sold three things. I'm just small potatoes and it makes me cranky, but I would be beside myself if I were used to that sales volume and it dropped like that.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

You said in your listing they retired the gender specific category????  when did this happen??? it's a disaster. ebay please listen.  now when search for "bottoms"  you get an impossible number of items.  why did they remove the gender category.. this will drop sales. EBAY PLEASE FIX

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

Hey 1282dawn!! Do you remember me? I bought a longall from you several years ago. 🙂  I totally remember you. I even remember the longall I bought from you, and I still have it somewhere as I never get rid of anything that I collect. I am 43 and I have higher functioning Classic Autism.

I am just as annoyed as you are over this. I have been looking for rompers (and now probably will have the same problem with shortalls). EBay has gotten rid of size specifications (so you can no longer just look at the items that are , say, size 2T or 3T or 4T. Plus, the listings cannot even be seperated into "Baby and Toddler Boys Clothing" and "Baby and Toddler Girls Clothing". What this is resulting in is you can't really search well for what you are looking for. Granted, it was difficult even before as there were thousands of listings for those items, but EBay has now made things even worse by doing this. I was searching for longalls and jon jons on Sunday and it was working fine. Then suddenly, Tuesday night, looking for rompers, and this happens. I may have an interest in smocked and appliqued jon jons, longalls, rompers, shortalls, etc., but there is no way I am going to look through 800,000 items to find what I am interested in, if there is anything. That would take hours and hours and hours to go through all that. Luckily for longalls and jon jons, there aren't that many around so I can deal with that if they aren't seperated by size or by gender (there's only about 2,500 usually). But with rompers and shortalls, again I'm not going to look through 800,000 items. I don't know what EBay is trying to do, but after being a loyal Ebay buyer / member for 17 years (and that is just on this ID name alone), and having 1,228 positive feedbacks and having 0 negatives for the past 16 years (I got ONE negative, but that was back in 2003 or so), I think I deserve better. Hasn't Ebay ever heard of "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"??? I guess not. That's a marvelous way to treat your loyal customers. They better fix this soon or they will lose a lot of customers, both buyers and sellers. No wonder there are so many people who are leaving Ebay and selling their children's clothes on Facebook!! I belong to several Facebook children's boutique smocked / appliqued clothing resale groups, and I see a lot of outfits there too as well. Maybe Ebay wants to secretly destroy themselves. Also: now they are also taxing me on purchases!! That didn't happen till October 1st. I don'tknow what is going through their head at EBay. Alienate the long term loyal customers and sellers. Sigh.....Take care, Codi from Northern California

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Has anyone heard or read any new updated information on these issues? I am still working through my listings by hand. I expect to be done until the middle of next week if I don't EXPLODE first.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Not a chance!!!!
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

All right, this is getting ridiculous. I think Ebay wants to lose customers!! Very soon I will probably ditch Ebay all together very soon!! They obviously DON'T CARE about YOU or about ME.

It has been more than a WEEK now since the Ebay people promised that they would add the size options to the clothing. That has not been happening, at least with the children's clothing, at all. Why did they have to mess with something that was perfectly fine originally. Did they have to "fix" something that wasn't broken. I mean, I have Autism and I function emotionally and socially like a 4-5 year old, BUT even I would have had more sense to do something like this. Ebay does things that make actual preschoolers look smart by comparison!! Not only is the size option still not there (meaning I will have to search hundreds of thousands items for rompers which I will NOT do), but also they are not divided into boys and girls clothing, either. This is a headache and it seems like they are not going to fix this. With the sales tax added in early October, I have been having to pay about anywhere from 50 cents to $1.50+ extra for any items that I buy. Doesn't matter if I bought the item from someone in South Carolina or Alabama, it is charged sales tax for California (where I live). How can  you pay in state sales tax for items that weren't even bought in the state?? I mean, it would make more sense to be charged out of state sales tax from the place you bought your item. But that aside, they now have to make things more DIFFICULT to me to search items. I hate to say this, but Ebay is going to lose money that I would have spent. I have bought 2 longalls over the past week from nice people on Facebook boutique children's clothing resale pages and not only that, but I haven't had to pay additional fees like Ebay charges. Keep doing what you are doing up, Ebay, and you won't have any more sellers (or buyers) at all. If you want to destroy your profits, and your entire company, keep on doing what are you doing. I hate to see this happen to EBay, since I have been around for 17 years, which is a large chunk of my 43 years of living, but continue like this, and Ebay will be going the way of dinosaurs. Like department stores and other shops that have closed down.  I admit, I will look and search for longalls and jon jons because they are only about 2,000 of those total, so even if they aren't seperated into boys' and girls' clothing or by size, I can manage to get through that. But rompers and shortalls are a different story. I am not going to spend the whole day or 2 days looking for items!! Please, Ebay fix this, or all your members will be so upset that they will leave. What do you think, folks?? Should we just dump EBay?? - Codi D.

Message 24 of 25
latest reply

I am really ready to "EXPLODE" right along with you. Perhaps we should just boycott Ebay. Did they have to make things worse and worse for us?? And when you try to get someone's attention, all you can do is talk to a representative in the Phillipines that doesn't understand half of what you say?? Way to go EBay!! - Codi D.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply