cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Nicole Miller Wool Blend Coat - Faux or Real Fur Collar?

I have this vintage Nicole Miller wool blend coat that I would like to list.  Trying to decide if it's real or faux fur?  Feels very real but admittedly, vintage anything is not my strong point, nor is deciding on real or faux.  I have a sister-in-law who sells a lot of vintage and she said if there isn't a tag indicating real, then it is most likely faux.  There is NOT a tag indicating real (but through my research, I found that is only if it was from 1951 or after).

So two questions - how do I know if it's real or faux?  and any general guess of what years it's from?IMG_1089.JPGIMG_1093.JPGIMG_1098.JPGIMG_1101.JPGIMG_1102.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Just do a burn test. Pull out a couple of hairs and put it in a ceramic bowl or in your sink. Light it. If it burns to ash and smells like burned hair, it's organic. If it burns to a hard little ball, it's synthetic. You'll know in a minute.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Just do a burn test. Pull out a couple of hairs and put it in a ceramic bowl or in your sink. Light it. If it burns to ash and smells like burned hair, it's organic. If it burns to a hard little ball, it's synthetic. You'll know in a minute.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It's definitely real.  Interesting.  Any idea (from photos) what type of fur?  I found a similar coat advertised as fox fur.  AND, any particular reason there isn't a fur tag (perhaps it's pre-1951?)

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The coat is relatively contemporary. Miller wasn't born until the 50's...

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The fur looks like Fox fur -  and it is not from the 50s; perhaps the 90s or later.  It is still a nice coat and I hope it sells well for you 🙂

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yep Im voting fox.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply