cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple stain removal

This may have  been posted before, if so I apologize for the repeat. I usually skip over the stain removal posts b/c I can't find the ingredients posted.

Someone posted this one on FB today. It's just Dawn, peroxide, and baking soda.  They had it as a mixture but i just poured a little of each on two different spots on two items today.  I had already tried shout, fels naptha, dawn alone, and the stain removal that comes with Dryel. They didn't budge.  I let them soak, rubbed it in, and let them set about 2 hours. 

Stains are gone.  No sign of them.

If you are like my husband and you have to measure everything, it's

1 tsp. Dawn dishwashing detergent
3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
couple tablespoons of baking soda.

Scrub on with a brush. 

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: Simple stain removal

Nice! Thanks for sharing! I will try it!

M. Davis
Message 106 of 135
latest reply

Thx

Believe And Make it Possible*BAMP*
Message 107 of 135
latest reply

When I am about to give up on getting out a stain I use Folex. Spray area of stain with Folex (found in supermarkets usually in the carpet/upholstery cleaning isle) and sit it out in direct sunlight.  Sometimes you have to do it a few times, but I find that it often works when all the regular stain removers don't.  Works great on natural fabrics.  Only once have I had it fade out the fabric, so I keep an eye on the item when I'm treating it.  Once its faded I launder. 

Message 108 of 135
latest reply

We use borax and put in pan of hot water on stove for vintage pillow cases. The oils from hair and age boil out and they become clean and white. We let them simmer all day in a stock pot! Gorgeous!
Jul
Message 109 of 135
latest reply

Restoration works beautifully on those vintage linens.  I have also used it on stained clothing with wonderful results.  I got it from a quilting website called equilter.  It was much less expensive there than from ebay or the river.

Message 110 of 135
latest reply

Hello! This might sound crazy but it has worked for me in the past, any super bad stains that nothing else will help try starting fluid...you can get it at any auto parts store ...I had a oil stain on my favorite jeans that I never thought I'd get out and it took it right out and doesn't even have a shadow of a stain....just putting it out there...
🙂 have a great day !

--Fastpenny14
Monicaashley
Message 111 of 135
latest reply

Anyone have some good tips for removing stains from silks?

I've found that frequently old silk scarves have stains that dry cleaning doesn't remove, and hand washing often rinses out some of the dye.

Message 112 of 135
latest reply

Yes this works great! It has removed many spots and always at least greatly improves them.

I have heard this one or seen it a few times yet thanks for the spacifics of each item. Being ya don't want never ending or rather lonnnng rinsing times of dawn suds!  :0)   thanks

Message 113 of 135
latest reply

I can't seem to find a way to search this, but am sure it's been asked before 🙂

I bought a nice St. John Santana knit skirt, but it has 2 small, fairly-faint-but-still-noticeable rusty-colored stains on it.  Any ideas for getting it out?  My dry-cleaner didn't get them out.

Thanks!

Beth

Message 114 of 135
latest reply

Vinegar is great for removing pee! Kills the smell and teh stain and will keep a dog from repeating there.

Message 115 of 135
latest reply

I have also had problems with stain removal. I have tried the method mentioned here and it has worked on cotton or cotton blend material. It has destroyed polyester and other synthetic materials. ( this statment is simply to warn people of a possible result)

Now my suggeston experiment with different detergants and stain removers also persistant stains allow to sit in cold water. The brush idea is very helpful for persistant stains.

When it was all said and done it came down to the value of the garment. If im only expecting to sell the item for $10.00 or less is it worth spend several hours and payong for chemicals to clean? 

I hope sharing this experience helps some people in the future.

Message 116 of 135
latest reply

This little majik formula has saved half my wardrobe - pizza sauce, mustard, siracha, coffee, chocolate, spinach, soy sauce etc etc etc!!!  I dont know all the chemistry but it IT WORKS!

Let me also offer straight vinegar as an antidote to puppy pee (possibly kitty pee - havent tried it).  Kills the stain and the smell!

Message 117 of 135
latest reply

This little majik formula has saved half my wardrobe - pizza sauce, mustard, siracha, coffee, chocolate, spinach, soy sauce etc etc etc!!!  I dont know all the chemistry but it IT WORKS!

Let me also offer straight vinegar as an antidote to puppy pee (possibly kitty pee - havent tried it).  Kills the stain and the smell!

Message 118 of 135
latest reply

Thanks for sharing these tips for stain removal.

Message 119 of 135
latest reply

HI I was wondering what type of material was it that you removed the stain from.

Also, was there any rinsing involved, if so, how? 

Thank you

Message 120 of 135
latest reply