cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple stain removal

This may have  been posted before, if so I apologize for the repeat. I usually skip over the stain removal posts b/c I can't find the ingredients posted.

Someone posted this one on FB today. It's just Dawn, peroxide, and baking soda.  They had it as a mixture but i just poured a little of each on two different spots on two items today.  I had already tried shout, fels naptha, dawn alone, and the stain removal that comes with Dryel. They didn't budge.  I let them soak, rubbed it in, and let them set about 2 hours. 

Stains are gone.  No sign of them.

If you are like my husband and you have to measure everything, it's

1 tsp. Dawn dishwashing detergent
3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
couple tablespoons of baking soda.

Scrub on with a brush. 

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: Simple stain removal

I've had success getting ink out with rubbing alcohol. The higher the % the better.  But I came here to post a new one that worked for me.

My son's pink highlighter broke and got all over his jeans, tshirt, and sweatshirt. Spray on windex and let it sit until dry. If pink still shows, spray on more and let sit. The deepest darkest areas took about 3-4 spray and dry sessions but most of it came out the first time. Afterwards I washed and dried in the dryer and it looks good as new.

Apparently birds are not allowed.
You'll get over it. Or you won't.
weasel
emu
Message 76 of 135
latest reply

I have used any brand dishwasher soap and venegar.

Message 77 of 135
latest reply

I was able to save even more shirts and some table cloths!!  Love love love this idea!!

Message 78 of 135
latest reply

I've been using this stain remover recipe since it was first posted. Can't say enough great things about it!  If I only have one small stain to use it on I half the "recipe". I use it so much that I started buying the biggest box the grocery store sellls and I also started putting it in a large container... got tired of fighting with the box. I love that all of the ingredients are so cheap and last a long time.

I also mix mine in a Solo cup and apply it with a turkey baster... gives good control with application and no waste 🙂

Message 79 of 135
latest reply

^^^ that should be the biggest box of baking soda^^^

Message 80 of 135
latest reply

I just put together a "kit" for myself just for getting out stains.  I have: 

1. Dishwashing soap (the grocery stores)generic for Dawn. 

2. Backing Soda in a small plastic container with a lid.

3. A small bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide

4. An old Toothbrush (for brushing the stain remover onto the fabric.

5. A small bottle of Clorox Bleach Gel.  This helps to get some stains out of whites without the yellowing that the regular bleach does. 

6. A bar of Fels Naptha Soap  I use this as a "stain stick"

I find keeping it all in one place saves time when I have stain(s) to get out.  I used to go hunting between the kitchen and the bath room for these things. 

Just an idea.  

Continuous bargains found in my store.
"GREEN $$$$$$$$$$$ to all
Message 81 of 135
latest reply

Backing soda = Baking. 

Continuous bargains found in my store.
"GREEN $$$$$$$$$$$ to all
Message 82 of 135
latest reply

If you mix Clorox with dishwashing detergent...Dawn for example...it gives off a TOXIC GAS CALLED MUSTARD GAS! I wouldnt mix bleach with dishsoaps. I speak from EXPERIENCE. It nearly made me pass out.
Message 83 of 135
latest reply

Bleach should not be mixed with ANYTHING!

In fact you should use only 1 teaspoon or maybe 1 tablespoon only in a cup of water.

Also, I have a water filter in my refrigerator and a lady from the City's water department told me that once every 6 months

I should put just ONE DROP bleach in a cup of water and pour it down the intake tube to disinfect anything growing in

the pipes.

Thought I would share.

Message 84 of 135
latest reply

I need help with a beautiful cream colored evening outfit I have.

it is 100% rayon and the skirt is sheer with a yellow stain on it (dont know from where or what).  It says dry clean only.

Can I use something to remove it and not ruin the skirt  without taking it to the dry cleaners?

Using just plain water may leave a stain or something since it is dry clean ony.

They are expensive.

Thank you.

Message 85 of 135
latest reply

Hello,

Just wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Delta!!

I have had an escada Sweater (cotton/rayon) for a few months that I have been working on with no luck.

I have hand washed it at least 5 times, spot cleaning and soaking every time. Stain would not budge, never even faded with any of my attempts. I was ready to just give up.

Tried your potion and the stains are GONE! I let it set for about 15-20 min washed and rinsed.

I had already tried dawn alone and peroxide as well, it didn't work. 

Message 86 of 135
latest reply

Hi, been reading thru the thread and have a very simple one for ring around the collar,  I use shampoo. Just rub it in, if really bad use a soft brush. Most of the time works in 1 application.  

Message 87 of 135
latest reply

After reading all the suggestions here about stain removal:   re:  baking soda and peroxide,  I found a couple other

uses.

my carpet had traffic dirt and stain that even carpet cleaners could not remove.    I mixed baking soda and peroxide and

some elbow grease and most of the stains are gone.

My drive w ay had black areas:  mildrew and was told pressure washing was the only way.

I just sprinkled a generous amount of baking soda and with a tuff, long handled brush scrubbed it away.   No more expensive

pressure washing.

Message 88 of 135
latest reply

Oxyclean would probably do the same thing.  It is a miracle product for stains, carpet cleaning, bathtub cleaning and just about anything you can thing of.  Only thing is be careful when walking on a wet floor as it is extremely slippery, but that's what makes the dirt slide off!

Message 89 of 135
latest reply

Simple toothpaste will help get out lots of stains on white clothes.

I live in SC and also want to say thank you to pearl7552 for all the wonderful clothes and shoes I have bought over the years from her. She lives in my state and sells great stuff. You can see my feedback and see the stuff I have bought from her.

Getting back to stains, she has sent me some tips for getting out stains and man I tell you the toothpaste really works. Just rub some on the stain and work it in, the white toothpaste only.

Message 90 of 135
latest reply