cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping in New York City

I am planning on a trip to New York city for next month, work and fun. I will be staying in Manhattan. I would like to do some shopping but I don't know where to start in such a large city that I have not seen in the past 40 years. If you would have the opportunity to go what would you do ? Any New Yorkers here for any tips?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Shopping in New York City

Respectfully, you need to post more info. What kind of shopping? For resale or personal? Strictly fashion? Budgeted or not so much?

The first place that I always head for is downtown to Century 21 for great discounted fashion. You can also do the World Trade Center Museum/Memorial and the Whitney that day. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Resell, shoestring budget mainly clothing, shoes. No purses. New York is the hub of fakes and I know very little about authentic brands. But then I also want to just look and drool. 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I’ve been going to the 26th St Flea since the 70s and have found treasures but it’s getting harder and harder. If you go, you need to get there in the dark at the crack of dawn. 

I only buy for myself at Century 21 but have bought tons of designer stuff over the years that could have resold at a profit. It’s all new-overstocks, cancellations etc. and heavily discounted. I still think you may want to check it out but you really have to dig. Everything will be authentic.

Doubt the locals will post the treasures but some internet searches should give you good leads. Have a great time, I’m jealous!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, will put in on my list

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I'm not from NY/NYC but having been there several times over the years, I'll comment.

I'm not familiar with thrift stores in the area so I can't recommend them but I've found some great deals at both Macy's (Herald Square) and Lord & Taylor for items on clearance.

You need to know prices but for those stores, you needn't be concerned about authenticity.

I believe Lord & Taylor is closing their Manhattan location so they might have some better deals than one would normally find.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I moved away from NYC in 2011 so these things may have changed - but you should check out Orchard St on the Lower East Side. Lots of old school merchants there & Sunday is the day to shop as the street is closed & merchants bring their wares outside. Orchard Corset is worth a look for sure.

While in the area, have lunch at Katz's Delicatessen (of When Harry Met Sally fame). Corner of Houston (pronounced HOWston) & Ludlow.

Domsey Express (Williamsburg Brooklyn) is just a stop or two out of Manhattan & used to be a really good thrift. I still have many vintage pieces purchased there.

I'll post again if I think of more. Have fun!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@frockstarvintage wrote:

I moved away from NYC in 2011 so these things may have changed - but you should check out Orchard St on the Lower East Side. Lots of old school merchants there & Sunday is the day to shop as the street is closed & merchants bring their wares outside. Orchard Corset is worth a look for sure.

While in the area, have lunch at Katz's Delicatessen (of When Harry Met Sally fame). Corner of Houston (pronounced HOWston) & Ludlow.

Domsey Express (Williamsburg Brooklyn) is just a stop or two out of Manhattan & used to be a really good thrift. I still have many vintage pieces purchased there.

I'll post again if I think of more. Have fun!

O M G  - Katz's Deli is DA BOMB - yes, please have lunch/dinner there.  The food is so good there!  I really miss eating there.  And just in case it was not mentioned, the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market is a nice stop too.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply