cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling a "knockoff?" Gucci jacket. Authentication process question?

Hi community! I'm selling a potentially knockoff Gucci jacket. I don't normally sell high fashion so this is very new to me. Just getting rid of a few old things in my closet. I see the authentication service added to my listing- which is cool, generally speaking, but I'm curious about the grey area of my listing.:

*I clearly state "knockoff?" jacket in the listing title.

*In item description I say "Tried to find an exact Gucci jacket. Was only able to find very similar jackets online. To be safe I’m calling it a knock off. But! It is silk confirmed! Silk 80%/ Polyester 20%"

What happens if an authenticator determines it's fake Gucci?

Even with the qualifier in the title and calling it out in the item description am I better off relisting the jacket without the brand name?

It's certainly vintage. I'm like ~70% certain it's a real Gucci jacket. Feels like one. I found very similar examples with a real Gucci label.

Here's the full listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/296352801326?itmmeta=01HWB7AAJG925QZPHY37AY8WX1&hash=item450000e22e:g:~7UAA...

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@pragueinspring wrote:

I'm curious about the grey area of my listing.:

*In item description I say "Tried to find an exact Gucci jacket. Was only able to find very similar jackets online. To be safe I’m calling it a knock off. But! It is silk confirmed! Silk 80%/ Polyester 20%"

FYI, there's no "gray area" when it comes to the sale of counterfeit goods. It's very definitely 100% illegal to sell fakes in the US and probably every other country although some countries are stricter in enforcement of the law. 

In case you're interested in reading ebay policy, here it is and it can't be clearer. Counterfeit items are not allowed and if you (as the seller) are not 100% certain of authenticity, you need to find out and confirm or you can't list it. PERIOD - not allowed! (Also, you cannot use an "authenticity disclaimer" in an effort to be "honest.")

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/counterfeit-item-policy?id=4276&st=3&...

@pragueinspring wrote:

Your account will be dinged and you're at risk of restrictions and/or suspension.

@pragueinspring wrote:

Even with the qualifier in the title and calling it out in the item description am I better off relisting the jacket without the brand name?

It's certainly vintage. I'm like ~70% certain it's a real Gucci jacket. Feels like one. I found very similar examples with a real Gucci label.

There's no way to list a counterfeit item -- not with or without the brand name.

And being 70% certain of authenticity isn't enough. You must be 100% certain. 

This jacket is NOT made by Gucci, despite your 70% assumption.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@pragueinspring 

eBay does not allow the sale of fake, knockoff, counterfeit items. I suggest you take that listing down and don't try to sell it. The sale of counterfeit items is against the law.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/counterfeit-item-policy?id=4276&st=3&...

lisa5768

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

If you value your Ebay account I highly suggest you remove that listing ASAP!

Don't EVER list anything you can not prove to be authentic.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Follow the advice given by the first two posters.  You don't want to square off with Gucci in a SAD (schedule-a-defendant)  lawsuit.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@pragueinspring 

Did you read the responses and suggestions you've received? 

albertabrightalberta

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Are you unaware that, regardless of your identifying it as a fake, counterfeit, knockoff whatever, it's a violation of eBay rules  to list anything that's a fake, counterfeit, knockoff?  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@pragueinspring wrote:

I'm curious about the grey area of my listing.:

FYI, there's no "gray area" when it comes to the sale of counterfeit goods. It's very definitely 100% illegal to sell fakes in the US and probably every other country although some countries are stricter in enforcement of the law. 

In case you're interested in reading ebay policy, here it is and it can't be clearer. Counterfeit items are not allowed and if you (as the seller) are not 100% certain of authenticity, you need to find out and confirm or you can't list it. PERIOD - not allowed! (Also, you cannot use an "authenticity disclaimer" in an effort to be "honest.")

@pragueinspring wrote:

Your account will be dinged and you're at risk of restrictions and/or suspension.

@pragueinspring wrote:

There's no way to list a counterfeit item -- not with or without the brand name.

And being 70% certain of authenticity isn't enough. You must be 100% certain. 

This jacket is NOT made by Gucci, despite your 70% assumption.

albertabrightalberta

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Agreement all around here.  Never put a disclaimer on your listing regarding authenticity.  It's either authentic or it isn't.  You can't hedge your bets by saying you aren't sure, or don't know, or estimating some percentage of likelihood that you've guessed correctly.  That will not protect you in the event that your item sells and the buyer finds the item to be a knock-off.  Neither will it keep eBay from removing the listing and censuring your selling account.

If you are unsure about the authenticity of an item, get it authenticated before you list it.

In this particular case, don't bother.  

Also - the zipper pull appears to be missing - you didn't mention that in your listing.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Selling of counterfeit fake items is illegal. Against the law.

Ebay can not give you authority to violate the law.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

If you only knew of the tragedies caused by counterfeiters including human trafficking, forced child slave labor and funding terrorism like 911....you'd change your mind about this. Absolutely not OK.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I didn't! Thank you for telling me!!

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Thank you!! I really appreciate you laying this out for me. Appreciate inclusion of the EBay policy. I'm reviewing it. Nonetheless I'll not make this mistake again.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I work 16 hour days split between two jobs. This is the first moment I've had to jump back to this thread. Thanks again for your guidance. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

It is NOT just about ebay's policies......

It is illegal (against the LAW ANYWHERE to sell counterfeit goods. PERIOD.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply